[SOLVED] PC randomly restarts

Sep 10, 2021
April of 2020 I built a relatively solid PC and it booted and ran fine for months until it randomly started restarting during some games. Games like, CSGO, Valorant, Minecraft have never restarted on me but then games such as EFT, The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Origins and the vast majority of the other games I play do restart, even games that should have a low toll on my PC crash, for example, rocket league. The restarting seems to be most prolific with solo games but is completely random. Sometimes I can go days without a crash, others times it may be minutes and so far, I have found no way to replicate the restart which makes it far harder to monitor.

At this time, the components of my PC were:
NZXT H510
2x 140mms, 2x120mms and a stock CPU cooler
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair 550W 80 Plus Gold
TC Sunbow 1TB 2.5inch SSD SATA
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance RAM
ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 5700 XT OC 8gb

At this time, I had very little knowledge of PC building and did some research into my GPU to find out that some other users had issues similar, but not exactly that of mine and assumed this was the error. Kept playing but had to actively avoid playing any story based, single player type games or else id risk restarting and losing both progress and time. The problems persisted playing some other games, rocket league being the main game I was playing at the time. I had also tried to reduce my graphics quality to no avail. I am also a student which involves moving my PC back and forth from my university to home, several times a year. As I had started my second year, I had a housemate who also had a PC who thought it was a CPU overheating issue to which I installed AMD Ryzen Master and reduced the voltage of my CPU, due to the fact that the restarting is so random, I couldn't tell if this had any effect. I've tried various other fixes including updating my drivers and changing my power plan and other advice that I had seen online.

A month ago I upgraded my PC a large amount, I replaced the motherboard, the case, fans and installed an AIO pump as I thought that it was potentially a cooling problem. The new specs of my PC are:

Lian Li O11D case
9x SL120 Fans
Galahad 360mm AIO cpu cooler
AMD Ryzen 5 3600

I more or less completely rebuilt my PC with the help of a few friends. Made sure everything was seated correctly and it booted just fine, temps being at an all time low but still, the restarting problem persisted. I've had to move in early to uni this year and have been trying to trouble shoot with one of my housemates PC parts. I have swapped over the CPU's and the RAM and the problem is still ongoing. The only things in my build that I've had from the start are my PSU, SATA SSD and the GPU, (CPU and Ram also, but feel like I can potentially cross these out now?)

The only things now that I feel like it could be is the PSU, which at 550W is needing an upgrade anyway. I would immediately assume it would be a power issue if it had arisen as I had upgraded my PC but as this was happening with my old build, and not off the start, I am unsure.

Also potentially the GPU? Or something software related?

Any idea would be amazing, Thanks. (Just wanna play The Witcher 3) without any issue smh)

Solution
April of 2020 I built a relatively solid PC and it booted and ran fine for months until it randomly started restarting during some games. Games like, CSGO, Valorant, Minecraft have never restarted on me but then games such as EFT, The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Origins and the vast majority of the other games I play do restart, even games that should have a low toll on my PC crash, for example, rocket league. The restarting seems to be most prolific with solo games but is completely random. Sometimes I can go days without a crash, others times it may be minutes and so far, I have found no way to replicate the restart which makes it far harder to monitor.

NZXT H510
2x 140mms...

NZXT H510
2x 140mms, 2x120mms and a stock CPU cooler
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX
AMD Ryzen 5 3600

At this time, I had very little knowledge of PC building and did some research into my GPU to find out that some other users had issues similar, but not exactly that of mine and assumed this was the error. Kept playing but had to actively avoid playing any story based, single player type games or else id risk restarting and losing both progress and time. The problems persisted playing some other games, rocket league being the main game I was playing at the time. I had also tried to reduce my graphics quality to no avail. I am also a student which involves moving my PC back and forth from my university to home, several times a year. As I had started my second year, I had a housemate who also had a PC who thought it was a CPU overheating issue to which I installed AMD Ryzen Master and reduced the voltage of my CPU, due to the fact that the restarting is so random, I couldn't tell if this had any effect. I've tried various other fixes including updating my drivers and changing my power plan and other advice that I had seen online.

A month ago I upgraded my PC a large amount, I replaced the motherboard, the case, fans and installed an AIO pump as I thought that it was potentially a cooling problem. The new specs of my PC are:

Lian Li O11D case
9x SL120 Fans
Galahad 360mm AIO cpu cooler
AMD Ryzen 5 3600

I more or less completely rebuilt my PC with the help of a few friends. Made sure everything was seated correctly and it booted just fine, temps being at an all time low but still, the restarting problem persisted. I've had to move in early to uni this year and have been trying to trouble shoot with one of my housemates PC parts. I have swapped over the CPU's and the RAM and the problem is still ongoing. The only things in my build that I've had from the start are my PSU, SATA SSD and the GPU, (CPU and Ram also, but feel like I can potentially cross these out now?)

The only things now that I feel like it could be is the PSU, which at 550W is needing an upgrade anyway. I would immediately assume it would be a power issue if it had arisen as I had upgraded my PC but as this was happening with my old build, and not off the start, I am unsure.

Also potentially the GPU? Or something software related?

Any idea would be amazing, Thanks. (Just wanna play The Witcher 3) without any issue smh)
Try these:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall the gpu driver using DDU (Clean and do not restart)
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios).
  • boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot. Go to power plan and choose ryzen balanced power plan and save changes, connect to internet after reboot.
  • Install the latest radeon driver.
  • And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduler like this:
    unknown.png
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and manual tune the timing if you want), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

Also after you done all of that, make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split):
unknown.png

Reactions: Limieh
Solution