[SOLVED] PC Randomly Restarts

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I was using an Radeon R9 390x and a Ryzen 7 2700x for the past two years and my PC sometimes, like very rarely just restarted, sometimes it happens when I quit the game and watching Youtube, so it was not even under heavy usage...
Sometimes nothing happens for days. Firstly I thought that my Video Card is dying, I've just bought a brand new 3060 TI and unfortunately it restarted again... Sometimes the screen starts to freeze for 2-3 seconds and then it comes back to life and then after some freezes it completely restarts but sometimes no freezes, only just a restart.

Now I am planning on buying a new 5800x or a 5900x so I wanna make sure that this won't happen ever again. It felt like some PSU problem because whenever I upgraded for a newer hardware which consumed less and less power the restart became less and less.

What do you think?

Current setup:
RTX 3060 TI 8gb oc
Ryzen 7 2700x with Wraith Prism
Ram: 2x8GB HyperX Fury 3200mhz
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
PSU: FSP HydroX 550W 80 PLUS GOLD
Some old Sata Hard drive, SATA SSD, and some power consuming microphone, lights, 2 monitors ect.

If you say that it most likely a PSU problem I will probably swap it to a "Be quiet! 750W Straight Power 11" would 750W do the job?
Also I will add an M.2 SSD.

Also what do you think? The Wraith Prism will be enough for the 5800x or 5900x or should I upgrade that as well?

Last edited:
Solution
I've just found this link https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Accessory/Power_Supply/Manual/RECOMMENDED_PSU_TABLE.pdf . It says with the current Ryzen 7 and 3060TI the recommended is 650W and with a Ryzen 9 750W, I will get that 750W PSU just in case because my friend will sell me that, almost in brand new condition, I hope everything just be fine after that, I will close this topic once I get my new processor (BIOS update before) and PSU and the reinstalled windows. We will see.

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
For use with your current motherboard?

Usual a restart is not a PSU issue.
Have you ever updated the motherboard BIOS?
Yes, I have updated it once, it is not the current right now. I've read multiple threads and watched videos and they said that the B450 Tomahawk Max is enough for the 5000 series, but still, I'm currently using a 2700x.

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Yes, I have updated it once, it is not the current right now. I've read multiple threads and watched videos and they said that the B450 Tomahawk Max is enough for the 5000 series, but still, I'm currently using a 2700x.
I had a way older build with this PSU by the way which was a hella power consuming FX-8150 with and older Motherboard and DDR3 ram and that restarded every time I played Apex Legends.

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I had a way older build with this PSU by the way which was a hella power consuming FX-8150 with and older Motherboard and DDR3 ram and that restarded every time I played Apex Legends.
I bought a pre-assembled PC with those and then my motherboard died, I switched it to a Tomahawk and a 2700x with DDR4 rams and thats why I think that it is a PSU problem because the restarts became less after the new components. I assume because they consumed less power.

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
That's the first thing you have to do.
Second is update the BIOS to the latest version.
Could you please give me a link for the DDU? But like I said it happened before the new video card and also I've tried to update the BIOS when it restarted frequently and it did not help, but it is good to know that I should delete the old video card's driver!

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I will update my BIOS tomorrow, also once I get my new CPU I will reinstall the whole Windows and update the BIOS so the 5000 series will fit in and all the other drivers will get deleted.

Can I somehow check the version number or I have to restart the PC for that? Im currently working so it's not possible.

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I've just found this link https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Accessory/Power_Supply/Manual/RECOMMENDED_PSU_TABLE.pdf . It says with the current Ryzen 7 and 3060TI the recommended is 650W and with a Ryzen 9 750W, I will get that 750W PSU just in case because my friend will sell me that, almost in brand new condition, I hope everything just be fine after that, I will close this topic once I get my new processor (BIOS update before) and PSU and the reinstalled windows. We will see.

Solution