Question PC randomly shocks and goes off

aris.sentika

Honorable
Jun 24, 2019
Hi, hopefully this is the right place to ask

Last week when I booted up my PC, it showed a strange behavior. I couldn't find an exact match of the case that I encountered so not sure what's going on. Something worth to mention, the week before it happened, there were multiple power outages in my neighborhood but such things had happened occasionally for years.

A few minutes after my PC entered windows, it gave a big electrical shock, which I felt through my metal earphones. Also the display went off for a brief time but the monitor stayed on.

The display went blank again a few hours later but this time I couldn't tell if there was a shock since I didn't use my metal earphones. I stripped the components off the case and run the system naked for half a day or so for work and nothing happened. Everything seemed normal. I put the case back on and my PC run normal for a week until yesterday.

I played a game of CS2 and suddenly it completely shut down randomly. I opened the case and kickstarted it by shorting the power button and it booted normally. I put the case back on and tried playing six matches of CS2 to see if anything happened but nothing. Temp was quite hot but the peak didn't even hit 90, so I don't think it's temp issue.

My assumption is a component is shorted, but I can't tell which one. Since it happens very randomly I can't replicate any scenario to rule out a faulty component. If perhaps I could, how? Let me know if you have any solution. Here's a list of the components and their age:

1. Ryzen 5 5600 (<1 y.o)
2. Gigabyte A320M-S2H-V2 (>5 y.o)
3. HyperX Fury 16x2GB (<1y.o)
4. Sapphire RX6600 (>2 y.o)
5. Adata SX8200 Pro (~1 y.o)
6. Corsair SF450 (>2 y.o)
7. Silverstone SG11 (>5 y.o)

I also use a metal earphone and an aluminum keyboard for 5 years. My newest addition to the set up was USB and HDMI extension cables for my display tablet, which I installed a month ago. My case power button is difficult to press already, I have to hold it for a long time and use a quite strong force to get it working. Any help is appreciated, cheers!

Lutfij

Titan
Temp was quite hot but the peak didn't even hit 90, so I don't think it's temp issue.
This is GPU or CPU temp? What app did you use to monitor your temps?

Corsair SF450 (>2 y.o)
You might want to source(borrow, not buy) another SFX unit that's reliably built and with 450W of power at the entire system's disposal.

My case power button is difficult to press already, I have to hold it for a long time and use a quite strong force to get it working.
Does this issue happen when you short the +ve/-ve pins on the motherboard?

Seems to me you have a grounding issue. You should first contact a certified electrician and see if the wiring in your abode is compromised, next would be to ask your electrician to see if the main lines entering your home has any wires crossed.

The reason I stated grounding issue is due to the shock you mention which I'm assuming caused you to get electrocuted, not just the sound of buzzing in your ears.

aris.sentika

Honorable
Jun 24, 2019
1. HWmonitor. Both are 80ish, under 90. These are when running CS2.
2. I have a 500W PSU new from RMA lying around, will try to use this if the problem persists.
3. No, I short the power pin it starts immediately. I tried to strip the housing and noticed the actual button on the PCB has some room to play and I have to be exact when pressing it.
4. I initially thought so, but I doubt it. My case and other metal peripherals don't electrocute me under the normal working condition, the earphones only did so when the my PC went off briefly. My brother uses the same line for his PC but doesn't have any problem.