Question PC randomly shut down and booted to BIOS ?

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
I had built a PC in December and it has been working just fine since then, but I happened to walk away for ten minutes and when I came back, I saw my PC booted in the UEFI. I decided to exit and save, but it still booted straight into BIOS. I have an MSI B550 aA Pro motherboard so I can see the hardware explorer. For some reason, my NVMe SSD slot was marked empty. I shut off my PC and flipped the PSU switch, flipped it back on and the PC booted into Windows. I am concerned that this may possibly happen again in the future as I take online classes with this PC. What might have caused this and what should I do about it?

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Go to computer management, event viewer, and see if it tells you anything other than the computer shut down unexpectedly. Look at any entries right before the time it rebooted for any other entries regarding a problem.

I looked back at the event viewer logs and did not find much. This is all I see other than it shutdown unexpectedly:

"Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

I'm also wondering if this is something common with NVMe SSDs. I had an Asus laptop with a NVMe SSD that would do the same exact thing. At least once a month, I would either walk away and then I would see it randomly loaded to the BIOS screen or see it randomly freeze and blue screen, then load into BIOS and fail to detect the NVMe SSD until I completely shut it down and start it back up. I have a feeling this may be due to default power settings. I read online that changing the PCIE "Link State Power Management" might fix this, but I will not know unless it crashes again.