Question PC randomly shutdown and turns on again

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Guys, I'm having a very annoying problem.
My PC randomly shutdowns, either while playing some game or just watching something on YT, this problem is happening for about 3 days and keeps happening. (At first, the pc would turn on, and when proceeding to Windows Desktop, he would simply turn off, and turn on again)

I've tried to do somethings to solve the problem, here's the list of things i tried:

I've cleaned CPU and the CPU fan
I replaced the thermal paste
Cleaned the memories
I tried to disable the power button from the mobo.
I've checked the cpu and gpu temperature's, but everything seems to be okay

My specs are:

CPU: Core i5 3570 ( no oc)
GPU: GTX 1660 6 GB
RAM: 2 ddr 3 memory sticks (4 gigabytes each)
MOBO: TCN Intel H61
PSU: KCAS 600W plus Bronze ( The psu it's the oldest component i have in my pc, it's about 6-7 years old)

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Okay, I'm totally willing to buy a new PSU, but i'm afraid of that not being the problem :(. Is there a software i can use to get more information on log or something ?, and what if the PSU wasn't the problem, whar else could it be ?

Feb 20, 2021
Okay, I'm totally willing to buy a new PSU, but i'm afraid of that not being the problem :(. Is there a software i can use to get more information on log or something ?, and what if the PSU wasn't the problem, whar else could it be ?
( win + r ) - type in eventvwr.msc click ok This will show a list of errors that you can click on individually A general and detail tab will be below for that error. I suspect you will see a Power Kernel error if the problem is related to your PSU or windows power plan setting. In any case you should see an error that registered at the same time your computer shut down.

Reactions: DarkPassanger47

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
( win + r ) - type in eventvwr.msc click ok This will show a list of errors that you can click on individually A general and detail tab will be below for that error. I suspect you will see a Power Kernel error if the problem is related to your PSU or windows power plan setting. In any case you should see an error that registered at the same time your computer shut down.
All the critical errors are related to Kernel Power, i guess that pretty much confirm that the PSU it's the issue here ?

View: https://imgur.com/q8ESrMZ

Feb 20, 2021
All the critical errors are related to Kernel Power, i guess that pretty much confirm that the PSU it's the issue here ?

View: https://imgur.com/q8ESrMZ
This clearly indicates the problem being power related which brings the PSU into focus. One thing I would try first is setting your windows power plan to "ultimate performance." That may fix it, or not. Either way, if your PSU is old it may not be a bad idea to replace it.

Reactions: DarkPassanger47

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
This clearly indicates the problem being power related which brings the PSU into focus. One thing I would try first is setting your windows power plan to "ultimate performance." That may fix it, or not. Either way, if your PSU is old it may not be a bad idea to replace it.
Setting the power plan to "ultimate performance" made the PC shutdown and turn on again even more often. Maybe that means it's really the PSU, since it's trying to get more power from it

anandusreborn

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
I've replaced the PSU for new one (Cooler master 600w elite v3), and the problem it's still happening, any clues of what could be the issue ?.
I'm desperate guys, please help me
Is there any other way I'm having the same issue as well. I'm on a gigabyte P650B and my pc turns off every 10 minutes of competitive games like Valorant and CsGo.
My PSU is just 4mnths old. I don't believe its faulty.
:(

Feb 20, 2021
I've replaced the PSU for new one (Cooler master 600w elite v3), and the problem it's still happening, any clues of what could be the issue ?.
I'm desperate guys, please help me
OK, let's see: did you use the new cables that came with the new PSU and are the power cables securely placed in the sockets?
Look in device manager for any red or yellow marks indicating a hardware problem or missing driver.
IF you don't have it, download hwmonitor from here - https://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3000-2094_4-10793486.html It will show you system temps and voltages.
And it would be a good idea to update the bios of that board if current bios is old.

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
OK, let's see: did you use the new cables that came with the new PSU and are the power cables securely placed in the sockets?
Look in device manager for any red or yellow marks indicating a hardware problem or missing driver.
IF you don't have it, download hwmonitor from here - https://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3000-2094_4-10793486.html It will show you system temps and voltages.
And it would be a good idea to update the bios of that board if current bios is old.
I didn't even got the chance to verify that :(, the pc simply did a loud "pop" sound, and doesn't show video signal at all, before that, i removed the graphic card to see if it was the issue, but it's still shut down and turn on again, so the card isn't faulty either.

I've checked if the new psu died, but it's powering the system, since the psu fan it's spinning, and the cooler fans too, so the new power supply it's not the problem.

Before that "pop" sound the pc was initiating and showing video, i honestly have no clue what the problem could be

Mar 24, 2021
From my personal experience a faulty PSU could randomly fried any component connect to it, mine fried my Vega 56 GPU.

I believe your CPU has an IGPU, try remove the graphic card and connect your display to the mobo, see if it can boot up.

And by the way Kernel Power has the word Power in there but doesn't mean the problem is power related issue, it simply means your computer was shutdown unexpected.

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
From my personal experience a faulty PSU could randomly fried any component connect to it, mine fried my Vega 56 GPU.

I believe your CPU has an IGPU, try remove the graphic card and connect your display to the mobo, see if it can boot up.

And by the way Kernel Power has the word Power in there but doesn't mean the problem is power related issue, it simply means your computer was shutdown unexpected.
I've tested the PC before (the "pop" lound sound happened) without the graphic card, and it's stills shutdown.
I'm using a new PSU, since I thought the older one was faulty, then all of the sudden the big "pop" sound happened, now it won't show video signal at all, both cpu and psu fans is spinning, so i don't think the new PSU was the problem (neither the older one, I don't think it's a faulty cpu problem)

So Long story short:

The PC was shutting down randomly then turning on again.

I've tested with a new PSU, that didn't work.

I've tested without the GPU, that didn't work either

After a while testing with onboard graphics, the pc did a loud "pop" sound, now it won't show video signal.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I read though the posts here, and:
-You went from one low quality psu to another.
I can't attest to whether or not the new one should've started giving you trouble right away, being that it's 'new'.

-No thermal issues to speak of. Good.
-You already tried running without the gpu... that didn't change anything.

What comes to mind: The 'messenger' was what was damaged, not the gpu. The messenger being the motherboard.

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
I read though the posts here, and:
-You went from one low quality psu to another.
I can't attest to whether or not the new one should've started giving you trouble right away, being that it's 'new'.

-No thermal issues to speak of. Good.
-You already tried running without the gpu... that didn't change anything.

What comes to mind: The 'messenger' was what was damaged, not the gpu. The messenger being the motherboard.
Could another component cause that ?, i think the motherboard was slowing dying from the beginning, but i was not sure, so that's why i bought a brand new PSU for test.

I'm gonna return the new PSU, so i can get a new motherboard, cause i honestly don't have much money to spend right now :(.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I do have another idea, but it's really a stretch: The current ram isn't officially compatible with the motherboard.
Those Intel boards didn't have as much versatility as some of the other brands, but ram shouldn't have caused a 'pop' either.

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Sup guys, I got really tired of trying to figure this out, So I've send the PC to some tech guy, after a while, he gave me a feedback of what the issue was, and he said that the mobo had pretty much fried one of his circuits ( i don't know for sure, if it's that what it's called).
So he send me a pic of the issue in the mobo:
View: https://imgur.com/tknoncr

Could that actually be the cause of the random reboots since from the start ?