Question Pc Randomly shuts down after cpu upgrade

Linzen

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
So I upgraded some parts of my pc including psu (twice) cpu and gpu
After specifically the cpu problem my pc shuts down and sometimes boots back up other times stays shut down. I thought it was either a thermal issue so i bought a higher Watt and higher rating PSU and a stronger Heatsink and both are working phenomenal, and it turned off once last night. I stressed tested the pc after every upgrade even running to stress test simultaneously with no crashes, only crashes when im gaming
and clues heres a list of parts that i had to now
R5 2600
B450 Aourus M
32Gb DDR4
GTX 1070
550W 80+ bronze
then i upgraded to
R9 5900X
B450 (yes bios upgraded)
32gb of DDR4 @ 3200mhz
Radeon RX 6800XT
700W 80+ white
and i upgraded my psu once more for
850W 80+ Gold

any idea on the issue

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The various parts around the CPU socket itself can get quite warm. The new CPU requires more power, and puts more stress, generating more heat from them than your original CPU did.

Do you have Ryzen Master installed? If so, is it applying any sort of overclock (there are profiles in RM that can do this automatically).

What version is your installed BIOS?

Linzen

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
The various parts around the CPU socket itself can get quite warm. The new CPU requires more power, and puts more stress, generating more heat from them than your original CPU did.

Do you have Ryzen Master installed? If so, is it applying any sort of overclock (there are profiles in RM that can do this automatically).

What version is your installed BIOS?
no i don’t have ryzen master my bios is on F63d

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
H510, I'd not bother with the 2x intake fans, with that case (unless it's the H510 Flow). Just use exhaust fans, and pop out one of the strips below where the gpu bolts up in the back of the case. You'll get better temps, especially on the gpu.

Not sure if power is the issue. I'd be more inclined to believe it starts with gpu drivers. You moved from a Gtx1070 to a Rx6800xt, nvidia to amd, and historically they hate each other and conflict at the slightest opportunity.

If you didn't before, I'd do 2 things. First I'd start with a dirty reinstall of Windows. That's where Windows is replaced but does not delete any personal or added data, just Windows. Second I'd use DDU from guru3d.com via safe mode (that's important) and have it delete any/all gpu drivers from nvidia and/or amd. Just download a fresh copy of required drivers from either the vendor website or and prior.

Wouldn't hurt to download the chipset drivers from the vendors website either, that'll usually contain a Balanced power plan that should be set in Windows.

Linzen

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
H510, I'd not bother with the 2x intake fans, with that case (unless it's the H510 Flow). Just use exhaust fans, and pop out one of the strips below where the gpu bolts up in the back of the case. You'll get better temps, especially on the gpu.

Not sure if power is the issue. I'd be more inclined to believe it starts with gpu drivers. You moved from a Gtx1070 to a Rx6800xt, nvidia to amd, and historically they hate each other and conflict at the slightest opportunity.

If you didn't before, I'd do 2 things. First I'd start with a dirty reinstall of Windows. That's where Windows is replaced but does not delete any personal or added data, just Windows. Second I'd use DDU from guru3d.com via safe mode (that's important) and have it delete any/all gpu drivers from nvidia and/or amd. Just download a fresh copy of required drivers from either the vendor website or and prior.

Wouldn't hurt to download the chipset drivers from the vendors website either, that'll usually contain a Balanced power plan that should be set in Windows.
i did a complete install of windows after and completely wiped all my hard drives and stuff

should i change my two front fans to exhaust might compete for air from my hyper212

i will try removing some of the pcie slots

i installed cpu chipset this morning havent had a chance to see it shut down yet but thank you

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope, just take them out. The H510 does far better overall with just the rear and top exhaust, allowing the gpu to pull fresh air from the back of the case. The addition of the front fans lowers pressure enough to basically equalize, so the gpu gets zero fresh air, just ambient air, which is somewhat hotter and not direct. The front venting in that case prohibits air Flow, doesn't enhance it.

When a fan blade moves through air, it creates a low pressure area above it, the exhaust out the back of the fan is a byproduct. Nature abhors a vacuum, so any higher pressure air, like usually right behind the intake fans, gravitates towards the low pressure area. The gpu fans do that too, creating low pressure area below it. Normally the intakes supply plenty of high pressure to fill that void. But there's so much restriction in the H510 that that doesn't happen.

Air pressure is 14.7lbs per Sq.in naturally, so that's what's pushing in from the rear. The gpu fans are making that 13lbs per Sq.in low pressure under the gpu. The intake fans are pushing 15lbs per Sq.in. That's just enough to prevent outside air intrusion, but not enough to really overcompensate, so you get only 0.3lbs per Sq.in trying to fill that 1.3lbs per Sq.in void. Gpu temps go up as a result of dismal airflow at the gpu.

That B450 Aorus M isn't a suitable board for that CPU. It has a very low end VRM configuration, lacks full heatsinks and is just basically kind of "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to models in the B450 chipset family. So that alone is a likely contributor to any problems you might have but I'm not sure it would be enough to make it simply shut down during game play. It would be more likely to simply throttle unless there is an actual problem with the board and installing the much higher end CPU has compounded the problem. You definitely want a better board for that CPU. It's poor advice to take a high end CPU and pair it with a very low end motherboard no matter what anybody might say.

The other question I would have is whether or not at any point you have tried doing a clean install of Windows, and I mean CLEAN install, not refresh, reset or restore? And, whether you did a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU after switching from the Nvidia card to the AMD card?

Linzen

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Nope, just take them out. The H510 does far better overall with just the rear and top exhaust, allowing the gpu to pull fresh air from the back of the case. The addition of the front fans lowers pressure enough to basically equalize, so the gpu gets zero fresh air, just ambient air, which is somewhat hotter and not direct. The front venting in that case prohibits air Flow, doesn't enhance it.

When a fan blade moves through air, it creates a low pressure area above it, the exhaust out the back of the fan is a byproduct. Nature abhors a vacuum, so any higher pressure air, like usually right behind the intake fans, gravitates towards the low pressure area. The gpu fans do that too, creating low pressure area below it. Normally the intakes supply plenty of high pressure to fill that void. But there's so much restriction in the H510 that that doesn't happen.

Air pressure is 14.7lbs per Sq.in naturally, so that's what's pushing in from the rear. The gpu fans are making that 13lbs per Sq.in low pressure under the gpu. The intake fans are pushing 15lbs per Sq.in. That's just enough to prevent outside air intrusion, but not enough to really overcompensate, so you get only 0.3lbs per Sq.in trying to fill that 1.3lbs per Sq.in void. Gpu temps go up as a result of dismal airflow at the gpu.
got it thanks for the advice

Linzen

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
That B450 Aorus M isn't a suitable board for that CPU. It has a very low end VRM configuration, lacks full heatsinks and is just basically kind of "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to models in the B450 chipset family. So that alone is a likely contributor to any problems you might have but I'm not sure it would be enough to make it simply shut down during game play. It would be more likely to simply throttle unless there is an actual problem with the board and installing the much higher end CPU has compounded the problem. You definitely want a better board for that CPU. It's poor advice to take a high end CPU and pair it with a very low end motherboard no matter what anybody might say.

The other question I would have is whether or not at any point you have tried doing a clean install of Windows, and I mean CLEAN install, not refresh, reset or restore? And, whether you did a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU after switching from the Nvidia card to the AMD card?
ima answer the windows question first
i fully deleted all my Drives and re installed windows

motherboard i bought when i was 16 so 3 years ago
b450 just came out and i was hyped as <Mod Edit> so i bought the first b450 i can afforded i was young and now im fixing those mistakes

Last edited by a moderator: