PC randomly shuts down and restarts! PLZ HELP

Nov 4, 2018
My pc randomly without any warning turns off completely as if it was unplugged from the wall and then turns back on right after that. This sometimes happens once a month, once a week or sometimes multiple times a weeks or even a day. I have my pc on the floor and I have a pet so I was wondering if the dog hair could short circuit my PSU. I have my custom power plan and fast startup and automatic restart turned off. My pc is less than a year old and the PSU is an EVGA 600W modular PSU! Please help if you know what could be wrong.

Nov 4, 2018

Nov 4, 2018
i tried that and it kept shutting down and i tried almost all combinations. I then took out my gpu and everything was fine. I noticed a tiny hair in the gpu and pulled it out. so far no shutdown been on for 2h. could that have caused the problem or might it be a faulty psu

Nov 4, 2018
here are my specs

MOBO GIGABYTE B360 Wifi
GPU Gigabyte gtx 1070 ti gaming
CPU i7-8700
16GB teamgroup 2400mhz ram
PSU evga 600w 110-BQ-0600-K1 R +80 bronze semi modular
corsair LE200 ssd 240gb
Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm hdd

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can try and check voltages/temps of the psu the next way,

Download the next program=hwinfo,

http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html

You can open hwinfo32,after that open the sensor window by marking sensors=V,after that click run
just look from time to time when playing. Can make screenshots to post here. Looking with a multimeter is also good,but doesn't say anything about when the psu is under load,or you ned to check when playing a game,use a unused molex cable and use the yellow and a black wire.

With what you describe is psu first suspect to me. Can you test with another one.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

He did,

Nov 4, 2018
I have run timespy and firestrike multiple times now and also had heaven 4.0 and cinebench running at the same time. no shutdown at all pc has been on for hours. Could the tiny hair/string in my gpu possibly have caused the problem since the problem started to become more frequent over time? I have my doubts that was the problem and I will update you if it was/wasn't

usually power supplies either work or dont (not ruling it out though). sounds more like a ram or motherboard issue. could be heat related which you should rule out if you havent. maybe run some tests on your ram with windows memory diagnostic. you can search for it in your start menu.

Nov 4, 2018
No I don't think it is heat related since my system usually is running pretty cool. Now it has started to do the thing where it will keep shutting down multiple times even before it gets to bios.

Mine does the same power loop thing when i cold boot about 50% of the time, but once it's up and running its fine. I've replaced PSU, GPU, Mobo. Next on my list is RAM. It doesn't bug me enough so I just pushed it off for like 2 years. Ram can test fine but still cause issues. I'd start by replacing the RAM.

Nov 4, 2018
I done the windows memory diagnostics 2 times now and no problem in ram. I read online that almost all other components are either working or not but a bad PSU can have the same problems as I'm having. Not sure completely though

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If a psu operates at the borders of the ATX specs might it well do fine for a time and then just dive under just a tad to restart. Tried what i asked above? Looking with Hwinfo for sensor readings.

What N3rdR4ge for himself describes might be bios checking stuff over and over where maybe indeed ram gives troubles,might be having wrong settings.

Nov 4, 2018
I tried Hwinfo but not sure what i'm looking for. Also I was stress testing my pc and drew the most power I could but no restart but then again randomly about 2h of the pc being on it shutdown again ...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can make some pictures of hwinfo when under load,upload them here,

Can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.