Question PC randomly shuts down and then restarts

Mar 3, 2019
Hello guys,
as the title suggests, I have problems with my computer turning off at random times and then starting back up after a few seconds. I've had this problem for probably 1-2 years, but it never really bothered me because it RARELY happened, but for the past few months, this happens on a daily basis and I havent touched my computer for months now, when this got unbearable (around 20 shut downs a day).

I've read into this problem so much, on so many different threads but nothing could help me so far.

Things I've done so far:

1. Reinstall Windows to see if this is a software or hardware problem - didnt help
  2. Cleaned my computer from dust (there wasnt really any since I occasionally cleaned it) and the temps were always fine, tested it with SpeedFan
  3. Replaced the PSU because this is the most suggested faulty hardware regarding this matter, still shuts down with new PSU (bare in mind this is a pre-built computer so I got the very same PSU from the manufacturer, so the PSU should be as good as to keep up with the rest of the hardware)
  4. Took out my CPU, cleaned it and put new thermal paste on it - problem remains
  5. Did MemTest, couldnt find anything regarding my RAM

I once disconnected my harddisk (HDD and external disk) as well as the GPU from the PSU to see if they might cause trouble, but the computer still shut down and restarted, so this happened even without having Windows booted.

The only thing that I consider faulty might be the Motherboard or maybe the ramsticks? I'm not very familiar with computers, unfortunately, but reading so much into this helped me gather a bit information to rule hardware out, so these two are the only things I still consider faulty. But how would I find out what the real problem is?

Thank you guys in advance.. Im really struggling with this and hope to find a solution here.

My specs:

Pre-built Medion computer

CPU: i7-4790 3.6 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX970
PSU: Medion 450W FSP450-40EMDN
Motherboard: Medion H81H3-EM2 (BIOS is up to date as well, 10.29.2014)

Mar 3, 2019
Yup, unfortunately I had to get this one because Medion motherboards have 14 pins and I already had bought a wrong one (due to lack of knowledge lol) so I sticked with the original one that was in the pre-built. So I bought the same PSU again, basically.

Mar 3, 2019
I thought of this too, but I should mention that the intervall of the restarts became shorter each time my computer shut down, which makes me think of heat related issues. Could you recommend any good PSU that will work with my specs entirely fine and that is of good quality? Might try it with the 24 to 14 pin adapter then.

TRENDING THREADS