Question PC randomly shuts down, gets stuck in boot loop.

Jul 24, 2021
On the 10th of July my computer installed a Windows 10 update, and in the days following my computer would randomly shut down, even when it was sitting idle. It also turns on the middle of the night with no input.
It DOES NOT crash, Windows event viewer gives me a generic 0x500ff error, something along the lines of " shutdown was initiated on behalf of the system" "no reason for the shut down could be given". Because it is not a crash, Windows does not generate crash or dump files.
After it shuts down it tends to get stuck in a boot loop despite automatic restart being disabled, and I can only access the BIOS in about 1/10 attempts
I tried a number of fixes from forums and Google to no avail, took it into a PC repair shop for diagnostics and they couldn't find anything wrong with my hardware.

My Specs:
Windows 10 Home
CPU : Intel i5-6600k
GPU : Nvidia George GTX 1060 6GB
MoBo : Asus Z170-P
PSU : Aerocool integrator 600W
2 8GB ddr3 Ram sticks
HDD + SSD

These are the fixes that haven't worked:

• Scanned for malware on different softwares
  • I have disabled automatic restart, and set my shut down conditions to never for display and hard drives
  • Updated the BIOS
  • cleaned registries + defragged drives
  • Disabled all non essential startup programs
  • changed around my RAM into different slots
  • Initiated a clean install of windows on 2 seperate occasions
  • Edit: shut down still occurs when the system is in safe mode
All signs point to a hardware issue, but I'm dubious as the diagnostic showed nothing and issues cropped up immediately following the OS update.
There was a red led strip flashing red on my MoBo between my audio input ports and the SPDIF in but I unplugged my headset and prevent the audio software from launching on startup and it still shuts down. HWmonitor also shows my motherboard main + several pins at ridiculously high temps, but the BIOS shows it at a steady 25°C, and I can feel inside that it's cool, malfunctioning sensor maybe?
The issue may be with the PSU but I want to replace components as a last resort as its a prebuilt PC.

Can anybody help, or have any inputs/suggestions?? I'm at the end of my tether here

Last edited:
On the 10th of July my computer installed a Windows 10 update, and in the days following my computer would randomly shut down, even when it was sitting idle. It also turns on the middle of the night with no input.
It DOES NOT crash, Windows event viewer gives me a generic 0x500ff error, something along the lines of " shutdown was initiated on behalf of the system" "no reason for the shut down could be given". Because it is not a crash, Windows does not generate crash or dump files.
After it shuts down it tends to get stuck in a boot loop despite automatic restart being disabled, and I can only access the BIOS in about 1/10 attempts
I tried a number of fixes from forums and Google to no avail, took it into a PC repair shop for diagnostics and they couldn't find anything wrong with my hardware.

My Specs:
Windows 10 Home
CPU : Intel i5-6600k
GPU : Nvidia George GTX 1060 6GB
MoBo : Asus Z170-P
PSU : Aerocool integrator 600W
2 8GB ddr3 Ram sticks
HDD + SSD

These are the fixes that haven't worked:

• Scanned for malware on different softwares
  • I have disabled automatic restart, and set my shut down conditions to never for display and hard drives
  • Updated the BIOS
  • cleaned registries + defragged drives
  • Disabled all non essential startup programs
  • changed around my RAM into different slots
  • Initiated a clean install of windows on 2 seperate occasions

All signs point to a hardware issue, but I'm dubious as the diagnostic showed nothing and issues cropped up immediately following the OS update.
There was a red led strip flashing red on my MoBo between my audio input ports and the SPDIF in but I unplugged my headset and prevent the audio software from launching on startup and it still shuts down. HWmonitor also shows my motherboard main + several pins at ridiculously high temps, but the BIOS shows it at a steady 25°C, and I can feel inside that it's cool, malfunctioning sensor maybe?
The issue may be with the PSU but I want to replace components as a last resort as its a prebuilt PC.

Can anybody help, or have any inputs/suggestions?? I'm at the end of my tether here
Did the clean install of Windows complete?

TRENDING THREADS