pc randomly shuts down please help

HodinDS

Honorable
Sep 18, 2015
Hello there,

My pc randomly shuts down then proceeds to restart after a few seconds. NO BSOD, NO HANG. just a random shut down then restart. NOT a reset because all of the lights on the mobo and gpus shut down as well as all the fans etc. Think of it as if i yanked the power cord from the plug then booted it back up.

-history-

The pc is rather old at this point, i got it on the summer of 2015.
I had a random hang on installing windows 10 then my problems started.
Since then the problem is not the same but *something* still persists to this day.

Back then the problem would be a random hang then after a reset everything was smooth until a manual willing shut down.
After a lot of complaining to the shop i got both GPUs changed for new ones.

Problem persisted so i bought new and expensive corsair RAM.

Problem persisted so i switched my x99 msi mobo for an ASUS rampage V.

Problem CHANGED to current issue. I bought a new cooling kit for CPU for random reason, Problem SUBSIDED for a few weeks then started again.

Then i bought a newer, bigger and better rated PSU,
Problem SUBSIDED for a couple of months, new cooling kit got fried then replaced with a better one, and now Problem is WORSE than EVER.

-SPECS-

ASUS Rampage V x99 mobo

Intel i7 5820k six core CPU

2x MSI gtx 970s

Corsair DDR4 4stick configuration 16gb -dont remember the part name

Corsair H110 cpu cooling

Corsair 1000w platinum rated psu -dont remember part name

-SPECCY-

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/n0wO478qEodmgVy56wBgEAQ

What do you recommend doing? I have lost all patience with this pc.

Thanks for the help in advance

BMBiscuit

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
I actually had a problem just like that a while ago, and it was a virus. Might not be the same issue for you, but you could atleast run a virus scan if you haven't already.
I was also thinking it might be your PSU, but saw that you already changed that.
Also monitor your temps, even though I assume you already did that.

HodinDS

Honorable
Sep 18, 2015

hey thanks for the reply,

This is not a virus as the random restarts are totally unpredictable thus me being unable to replicate at will, also problem sort of evolved along with different parts being switched / upgraded.

Temps are a bit on the hot side clicking at 38-ish on low use, 45-50 on high use (CPU) and gpus working at a steady 35-60ish from idle to high use.

I am thinking it might be the psu but since it is really unpredictable i am not convinced that this is actually the problem. The previous PSU that was changed on the pc turned out to be faulty, but back then i could replicate the exact same problem in the exact same way every single time.

Im thinking it might actually be faulty wiring but i dont really have the time to test it manually because i did a very poor job with cable management.