Question Pc randomly shuts down/restarts

Apr 15, 2020
So the title says most of it, my pc randomly shuts down/restarts with no warning, mostly while in games but also while under no real load at all. It Happened for a time with my old pc as well but not as often and it stopped again, now i recently upgraded my entire pc except for the Graphics card and the SSD, and now it started happening all the time even though it didnt happend anymore with the old build. I figured it would be the graphics card since it is the thing i kept in the PC, but since it also happends under no load to the graphics card, and it dosnt seem to happend more often under heavy gpu load it seems wierd to me. It has actually seemed to happend most often while in loading screen to league of legends, and not really been a problem once in game, but also happends in other games, and sometimes without any heavy applications open.
The GPu never reaches temps over 60, and CPU only runs at around 75 c under load, i also tried 2 different psu´s
Anyone have any idea of posible fixes, or can anyone confirm if it being the graphics card makes sense?

I have a gtx 1070
Amd 5600x
Mwe 550 Modular PSU
Asus B550-i Gaming Motherboard
Hyperx fury 32 gb 3200 mhz Ram

any ideas much appreciated.

Edit: i have tried running Furmark to stress test the gpu, and Ryzen master CPU test to stress CPU and neither caused any crashes, and they ran fine.

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the Forums :D

My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

Apr 15, 2020
Welcome to the Forums :D

My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

I have already tried 2 diferent power supplies, tried running single rams in different slots, tried another set of ram, and tried doing a complete wipe/factory reset of the drives, nothing worked.