Question PC randomly shuts down

Jun 12, 2020
Hi, I would really appreciate any advice and ideas on what might be causing this.

Basically I've had no issues with my PC for about 5 years, then a few weeks ago it started developing a problem where it will just instantly shutdown. There's no blue screen etc. just immediately power off and then it will try to restart itself. The problem only started happening after I installed a new SATA SSD (which I have removed now and the problem persists). At first, it started happening when I was gaming and the loads on CPU and GPU etc. were high but now it happens randomly and even when the computer is idle. Sometimes it will restart itself fine and carry on as normal but other times it will not be able to start again for quite a while, it keeps trying to power up and the CPU fan goes max speed but then it shuts off again.

Here is the build:
corsair cx600
intel core i5-4690k
nvidia gtx 960
GIGABYTE Z97X
2 corsair vengeance 4GB DDR3 (CMY8GX3M2A2400C11)
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
1TB HDD

I've already tried a bunch of things. Prime 95 CPU stress test for 15mins no issues. memtest the ram overnight with no errors. replaced the CMOS battery. I assume not the GPU since it doesn't seem load related. Temps are all fine.

PSU seems a likely culprit but the 3.3V and 5V and 12V rail seem fine - HWinfo says 3.324V 5.1V and 12.096V (there are sometimes tiny instantaneous fluctuations but I assume that's fine? example 11.952V and 3.305V)

A few people with similar issues online seem to be saying PSU or motherboard but I thought I'd get someone else's opinion before buying a new PSU. Could something be shorting?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
The green labeled CS Series of PSU's from Corsair shouldn't be around a PC, for all I care. You should look into a donor PSU from a neighbor or a friend who owns a reliably built PSU, like a Corsair CX650 unit or a Seasonic M12II/S12II 520W unit.

See if that changes your experience.

Jun 12, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply, are you confident that it's the PSU then? I can't borrow from someone unfortunately so I'll have to get a new PSU which I'm happy to do. Is the Seasonic core gold gc650 good or the Corsair RMx 550 ?