[SOLVED] PC randomly shuts itself down and restarts when launching/playing certain games

Aug 21, 2019
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600

When I play certain games, my computer black screens and shuts down, then instantly restarts itself. I haven't tested every single game I own, but the ones which typically cause this issue for me are Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege. I have no problems playing less intensive games such as League or Hearthstone.

I have had my system for a little over a year and played these games frequently without experiencing any issues. About a month or two ago, my PC began crashing in these games, and eventually got to the point where I couldn't even make it to the main menu in R6 without my PC shutting itself down and restarting. I noticed that my PC was running quite warm, and my CPU cooler was pretty lackluster, so two weeks ago I bought a new one as well as another case fan in hopes that that was the issue. This caused my CPU temps to drop by around 25 degrees C both idling and under load (now at around 35-44 C idling, 47-54 C under load). For about a week and a half, this seemed to have fixed the issue, and I had no problems running any games I wanted. However, yesterday the issue began popping up again. It is not as severe as before in the sense that I can now run R6 or Overwatch for a few minutes before my computer shuts down, but I cannot continuously play them without the issue occurring.

I have updated my GPU drivers, tried closing all other programs and then running the games, closed my peripherals' software before launching, but nothing seems to work and I haven't been able to find any threads or articles which mention the PC shutting itself all the way down, everything just gives solutions for when just the game is crashing, but my issue unfortunately is more severe than that. Not really sure what the problem is at this point or what to do next. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
You have an old computer and the win-tel conspiracy wants you to buy a new computer. They do not test their code with old hardware. You see this in the open source world. Intel test their code with latest Intel hardware only. Users do bug reports and Intel fixes them slowly,see:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?chfield=[Bug creation]&chfieldfrom=7d

Play games with Debian testing/Sid Xfce if you want a stable gaming platform.
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
Install the nvidia driver from the nvidia site.
Aug 22, 2019
Have you tried checking your RAM? I had a similar issue, i had my RAM voltage and timings wrong in BIOS, RAM can restart your PC in severe cases, You can try getting Aida64 and testing the memory, or atleast try 2 modules in dual channel maybe one module of your RAM is causing the problems.
Is the computer booting with no issues?

Aug 21, 2019
Have you tried checking your RAM? I had a similar issue, i had my RAM voltage and timings wrong in BIOS, RAM can restart your PC in severe cases, You can try getting Aida64 and testing the memory, or atleast try 2 modules in dual channel maybe one module of your RAM is causing the problems.
Is the computer booting with no issues?
Yes, it boots fine no problem. Also checked my RAM voltage and timing in bios and everything is as it should be.

I’m somewhat suspecting the culprit is an option I hadn’t noticed before in the bios, which automatically shuts the PC down when the motherboard is overheated. However I’m not sure what part of my motherboard would be overheating, as I’ve ran core temp at the same time as launching/playing R6 and my CPU never gets above maybe 55 C. I’m hesitant to turn the feature off in case there is a serious heat problem going on, but I just don’t know what part of my motherboard is causing such a heat spike.

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
You have an old computer and the win-tel conspiracy wants you to buy a new computer. They do not test their code with old hardware. You see this in the open source world. Intel test their code with latest Intel hardware only. Users do bug reports and Intel fixes them slowly,see:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?chfield=[Bug creation]&chfieldfrom=7d

Play games with Debian testing/Sid Xfce if you want a stable gaming platform.
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
Install the nvidia driver from the nvidia site.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts