[SOLVED] PC randomly shuts off and restarts itself

kujen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It started a few months ago. I was playing a game and the PC suddenly shut off and restarted by itself. The shut off seemed as if the power went out or the plug was pulled - there was no blue screen, nothing in the event viewer log. Just shut off and restarted itself. But the power did not go out and I have my system connected to a good, sine wave UPS. I thought at the time that it was the PSU, so I replaced it under warranty.

Now it is starting to happen again randomly. I had another game running and it did the same thing. I started running an overclock on my CPU a few days ago. But I am not sure that is the problem because I think it happened a week or two ago as well, before the OC was applied. Also, OC problems tend to give me a blue screen whea uncorrectable error, not a sudden shutdown + restart. Anyway, I've set it back to default speeds for now.

Could it be my motherboard, CPU, RAM? Maybe a bad HDD? I have a D drive with 1000+ reallocated sectors. But my OS and the game are on a different, SSD drive. Any chance that it is not my hardware? Could it be caused by Windows, Fast Start, C states?

How can I find out what the cause is? I plan to run Memtest86 some more - so far it has done 2 full passes with no errors.

CPU: Intel 4770K
Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro
Graphics: Gigabyte 1070 Ti
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600
PSU: Corsair HX750i

Last edited:
Solution
I’ve always had the RAM set to the XMP profile it’s rated for. (1333->1600)

The first time the PC shutdown like that, I did not have any OC on CPU or GPU. Then I got a new PSU. And now it’s happening again. I’ve undone the CPU OC just in case, but the RAM is still on XMP profile.

I’ve just tried to reseat the RAM. I saw a small black speck on one of the DIMM slots, and blew it off. But I don’t know if that was there before or after I reseated the RAM (it took a few tries to get it to click in all the way again).
have you cleaned any of the ports on your mobo recently like take a high strength vacuum to clean the dust and dirt build up from inside the slots them self of air cans also work blow them out
It started a few months ago. I was playing a game and the PC suddenly shut off and restarted by itself. The shut off seemed as if the power went out or the plug was pulled - there was no blue screen, nothing in the event viewer log. Just shut off and restarted itself. But the power did not go out and I have my system connected to a good, sine wave UPS. I thought at the time that it was the PSU, so I replaced it under warranty.

Now it is starting to happen again randomly. I had another game running and it did the same thing. I started running an overclock on my CPU a few days ago. But I am not sure that is the problem because I think it happened a week or two ago as well, before the OC was applied. Also, OC problems tend to give me a blue screen whea uncorrectable error, not a sudden shutdown + restart. Anyway, I've set it back to default speeds for now.

Could it be my motherboard, CPU, RAM? Maybe a bad HDD? I have a D drive with 1000+ reallocated sectors. But my OS and the game are on a different, SSD drive. Any chance that it is not my hardware? Could it be caused by Windows, Fast Start, C states?

How can I find out what the cause is? I plan to run Memtest86 some more - so far it has done 2 full passes with no errors.

CPU: Intel 4770K
Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro
Graphics: Gigabyte 1070 Ti
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600
PSU: Corsair HX750i
So are you under clock your ram as you of your cpu? Oc clocking the coy oc's the ram with it, unless you have oc'able ram you have to under click it as you oc it...

kujen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So are you under clock your ram as you of your cpu? Oc clocking the coy oc's the ram with it, unless you have oc'able ram you have to under click it as you oc it...

The first time the PC shutdown like that, I did not have any OC on CPU or GPU. Then I got a new PSU. And now it’s happening again. I’ve undone the CPU OC just in case, but the RAM is still on XMP profile.

I’ve just tried to reseat the RAM. I saw a small black speck on one of the DIMM slots, and blew it off. But I don’t know if that was there before or after I reseated the RAM (it took a few tries to get it to click in all the way again).

have you cleaned any of the ports on your mobo recently like take a high strength vacuum to clean the dust and dirt build up from inside the slots them self of air cans also work blow them out

Solution