Question PC randomly shuts off and restarts ?

novus111

Commendable
Feb 15, 2021
My PC has been instantly shutting off recently. Meaning no shut down sequence, it shuts off instantly like with a power cut. After a second or two it restarts itself.
It does it when there is no heavy load. So it doesn't do it during rendering or gaming. It only does it when it's idle or almost idle ?

Guessing it's a hardware issue, maybe something's overheating. Temps on CPU and GPU look fine.
My first suspicion is the PSU, since it's about five years old. But it's a Gold standard 800 Watts PSU, so I'd be surprised.

System stats:
ROG Strix 570-E Gaming
Ryzen 3900X with Scythe Fuma 2 Cooler
2x 16Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro running at 3533Mhz
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
HDD 1TB
2x SSD's

novus111

Commendable
Feb 15, 2021
I would still be suspicious about the PSU. What brand is it?
I can't tell because my case has these "beauty covers" on top of the PSU, need to take the whole PC apart to be able to see it. Will do that later. Is that very important to know? As I know myself and I didn't buy something cheap, I payed like 250 bucks back in 2017.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I can't tell because my case has these "beauty covers" on top of the PSU, need to take the whole PC apart to be able to see it. Will do that later. Is that very important to know? As I know myself and I didn't buy something cheap, I payed like 250 bucks back in 2017.
Where did you buy it though? Do you not remember the brand?

And yes, it normally important as PC tends to restart upon first bootup when there is an issue with the PSU, At least that was what happened to mine.