[SOLVED] PC randomly shuts off during low load/idling, and requires hard reboot.

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Hello, I've been having a problem for a while where my PC shuts off during low stress tasks(happened about 15 times in a week, never when gaming), such as watching youtube or browsing reddit.

The screen just goes black and everything stops, except my motherboard and headphone RGB, which stay on (other RGB such as fans or keyboard turn off).
If I want to restart the PC, I have to turn off the PSU for about 5 seconds and then turn it on again, at which point the PC will start on it's own.

Specs:
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, happens on both F41 bios and F42a
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ stock
16 GB RAM @ 3200 mhz
GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair Vengeance 650M PSU
Windows 10 64 bit 1903

What I tried so far:
Updating BIOS
Reconnecting cables
Different PSU cable
Changing Power plan settings
Running Memtest86 (No errors)

My PC is really new (not even a month old), and the really wierd part is that it never happens under load.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Because your problem sounds very similar to the issue I had I would guess that your PSU is at fault. My PC would reboot suddenly if I wasn't placing a CPU load on it. Even then, I would crash frequently just doing anything. For years I dealt with it until... yesterday when I finally tried a different PSU.

So if you have a working spare PSU then try testing with that.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Because your problem sounds very similar to the issue I had I would guess that your PSU is at fault. My PC would reboot suddenly if I wasn't placing a CPU load on it. Even then, I would crash frequently just doing anything. For years I dealt with it until... yesterday when I finally tried a different PSU.

So if you have a working spare PSU then try testing with that.

Solution