[SOLVED] PC randomly shuts off under a load

Apr 2, 2020
I play Farming Simulator 19 on my PC, I start with no mods and I still only top out at 10 FPS. Also sometimes when I try to tab out of the game or a application it will shut the computer down and I get stuck in the boot loop, the windows screen saying “preparing automatic repair” or something like that. I can do a hard shutdown and it will boot to windows fine.
Specs:
FX 6300 Water Cooled OC to 4.2
16GB DDR3
PNY OC GTX 1070 Water Cooled
500W PSU
I would not think the system would bottleneck to give me that low of FPS and I used to run it with mods and streaming and get atleast 30-60FPS. But I can go play krunker that is a google chrome game and I can get 60FPS. Could it be a PSU issue, unstable Overclock, or could it be that the CPU is just going bad? All CPU and GPU temps are good.
Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
I believe the system was built around 2012-2013 atleast that’s the date on the case fans. I bought it about a month ago. Core temp is at around 10-15C. Some people tell me that it’s the CPU but others say it’s the PSU. I was thinking maybe a i5-9400F or a 1600AF. When I search up 1600 AF the normal 1600 comes up. Are they all the AF variant now or is there a special 1600? Also would that be able to run off the current 500W PSU?
The Ryzen 5 1600 AF (YD1600BBAFBOX) for $85, is a new release with the same name, but using Zen+ and is literally just a Ryzen 5 2600 with slightly lower base and boost speeds. There is only around 3-6% difference in performance. Although the 9400F is faster, it's also double the price of the...
Apr 2, 2020
Alright, the PC came already OC so I’ll have to look up and see how to reset everything in the BIOS. Could I also just remove the CMOS battery and put it back in to reset the OC?

Ok, would that cause the FPS drop in farm sim 19? But in the Chrome game I can get full FPS?
Your CPU is very weak and is bottlenecking your GTX 1070. You would need something like an i7-4770K or Ryzen 5 2600X to have a "balanced" system. The browser games need far less CPU and GPU power than something like Farm Simulator 19.

When was the system built? When did you buy it? If nothing has changed on the entire system since it was built, it's very possible that the pump for the water cooling is dying, so the system is overheating and shutting off. Check your CPU temps with Core Temp 1.15.1 or HWMonitor for a quick check of the CPU temp at idle. If it's over 50-55c, you need a new pump or a new liquid cooling solution. That would be impractical though since you would be spending nearly half the cost of a new CPU, motherboard and memory upgrade on just the new cooler.

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If you want to upgrade to a CPU that is likely 90-100% faster, I would suggest buying at minimum a Ryzen 1600 AF, B450 motherboard and 2x8GB DDR4 2933, 3000 or 3200 ram. All of that would cost around $220-250 depending on the motherboard and memory picked and also before applicable taxes.

Apr 2, 2020
I believe the system was built around 2012-2013 atleast that’s the date on the case fans. I bought it about a month ago. Core temp is at around 10-15C. Some people tell me that it’s the CPU but others say it’s the PSU. I was thinking maybe a i5-9400F or a 1600AF. When I search up 1600 AF the normal 1600 comes up. Are they all the AF variant now or is there a special 1600? Also would that be able to run off the current 500W PSU?

Reactions: vcc98554vn
The Ryzen 5 1600 AF (YD1600BBAFBOX) for $85, is a new release with the same name, but using Zen+ and is literally just a Ryzen 5 2600 with slightly lower base and boost speeds. There is only around 3-6% difference in performance. Although the 9400F is faster, it's also double the price of the 1600 AF at $150-160 for around 5-25% more fps depending on the game. If you are going to spend $160 for a CPU you might as well spend a bit extra for a Ryzen 5 3600 at $175. It has double the CPU threads of the 9400F and the same or better performance.
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07XTQZJ28

When you build a new computer, you really need to get a new PSU. Going 8 years on such a low quality PSU is asking for trouble. You might also consider getting at minimum a 120mm tower air cooler for the CPU at around $30-45.

Lastly, enter your motherboard bios and check the temps from there. 10-15c at idle for an 8 year old liquid cooler seems wrong. Also check temps when you are playing games.

Solution

You're really asking for trouble here... of course not.

You're getting random shutdowns on your current EVGA PSU... your power supply is most likely the problem here.

If you want to build a whole new system change the PSU too... it's one of the most important components of your system.

A Corsair CX550(2017,grey label) is a solid and budget friendly choice.

Apr 2, 2020
Will it handle a 1600AF with the 1070? I reset my bios so it not a unstable Overclock. I’ll throw my 1060 in this rig tomorrow and see if it still does it, if it does, then I’ll buy a new PSU.

Will it handle a 1600AF with the 1070? I reset my bios so it not a unstable Overclock. I’ll throw my 1060 in this rig tomorrow and see if it still does it, if it does, then I’ll buy a new PSU.

Even if it works fine... you should still replace it. If that PSU completely fails at some point it may take other components with it... I don't think you'd like that.

That 500B it's a low quality PSU to begin with + in your case it most likely is on it's way out... just follow my recommendation and replace it with the CX model.