Question PC randomly shutting down and rebooting a few seconds later in some games, ran OCCT stress test on PSU with no issues ?

Dec 27, 2022
Hi All
I recently rebuilt my computer using my winter bonus from work. However, I have been recently having an issue in some games, where it will just randomly shut off, and then come back on. I cannot recreate it consistently, it just happens at random, no time requirement from boot (seen it happen on the first game I try right after boot, seen it happen many hours in.)
Here is my build:
i9 13900k, no oc, no uv
MSI gaming trio X 4090 (has happened both with and without undervolting)
Thermaltake GF3 1650W PSU
2x Corsair dominator DDR5 6200, 32gb
MSI z690 Unify

Here is what Ive tried so far:
  • Running furmark for 20 minutes, no issues
  • Running prime95 for 20 minutes, no issues
  • memtest86, no issues
  • Running OCCT, both power and GPU mem test for 20 minutes, no issues, voltages well within good range for the entire test
  • ran DDU to fully uininstall drivers
  • MB is at latest bios
  • made sure to install the Intel ME drivers
  • reseated all cables
  • Ive been checking temps constantly, including as it happens, no temp issues at all
  • I moved the PC to a completely separate surge protector on a completely different outlet from my monitors and other chargers.
  • Went down to using 1 ram slot. Failed instantly with the first stick. Failed after 8 hours with the other one.Went back to first stick and took 2 hours to shutdown again. So nothing there.

Games it has happened in so far:
Vermintide 2​
Total war Warhammer III​
Hunt: Showdown​
Cyberpunk 2077​

Im just not sure whats happening at this point, and the frustrating thing is I cant make it happen whenever I want...I just happens. I cycle through all the games in question everytime I try and fix, and I can never make it happen when I want, but it eventually happens later.

Anyone have another idea to try? I know the biggest culprit on this kind of thing would be the PSU, but its brand new and it ran the OCCT test with no issues.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some related error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the shutdowns.

Reliability History is user friendly and the time line format can prove revealing.

Event Viewer takes more time and effort:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Both tools offer more detailed information. However, the details may or may not be directly helpful.

Look for error codes and/or descriptions.

Dec 27, 2022
All event viewer has for me is the Kernel-Power (event ID 41) and the errors associated with the machine shutting down unexpectedly. Reliability history doesnt have anything else beyond that really, it just shows that the games also quit unexpectedly

Jan 16, 2023
Hello, I am curious if you have resolved your issue? I am also having random reboots on a full new build while playing games like Cyberpunk and Spiderman: Remastered.

My build is similar to yours and I don't overclock at all except for activating XMP for the RAM.

Here is my build:
i9 13900k
RTX 4090 Founders Edition
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64gb (2x32gb) DDR5-6400
MSI MEG Z790 ACE

I've been researching it for a week now and figured it's the Thermaltake PSU. I have a Silverstone HELA 1200R on the way.

But I am curious if you have resolved your issue. Thanks

Jan 16, 2023
All event viewer has for me is the Kernel-Power (event ID 41) and the errors associated with the machine shutting down unexpectedly. Reliability history doesnt have anything else beyond that really, it just shows that the games also quit unexpectedly
Hello, I am curious if you have resolved your issue? I am also having random reboots on a full new build while playing games like Cyberpunk and Spiderman: Remastered.

My build is similar to yours and I don't overclock at all except for activating XMP for the RAM.

Here is my build:
i9 13900k
RTX 4090 Founders Edition
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64gb (2x32gb) DDR5-6400
MSI MEG Z790 ACE

I've been researching it for a week now and figured it's the Thermaltake PSU. I have a Silverstone HELA 1200R on the way.

But I am curious if you have resolved your issue. Thanks