Dec 27, 2020
Hi There,

First time poster.

I have a PC with the following spec:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
Memory: 8GB

Recently, the PC started shutting down randomly. No error messages, no BSOD, just cut to black. This would happen randomly, even after the PC had been up for a period of time, and it didn't seem to matter what I was doing on the PC. The PC would always come back on fine when I turned it back on, but it might shut down again as soon as it loaded into Windows.

I figured that the OCZ 500W PSU I had must have gone bad, as I built this PC back in 2012/13, so I replaced it with a brand new Corsair TX650M PSU. At the same time, I decided to upgrade my Cooler Master Elite 430 case to a Corsair Carbide 275R case.

I moved everything into the new case and installed the PSU and the PC has been fine for about a week. However, tonight, the PC has randomly shut down 3 times. Workload has been moderate, playing a bit of Rocket League, Phasmophobia and Garry's Mod but monitoring CPU and GPU temps in HWMonitor the max the CPU hit was ~72 Celcius and the GPU was ~65 Celcius so I can't imagine this is an issue being cause by thermal shutdown.

I was thinking that maybe the motherboard was goosed? But other than the random shutdowns I've no other indication that this might be the case. As previously mentioned, this PC was built in 2012/13 and has only had minor changes made, most recently the PSU and Case and then the CPU cooler was replaced roughly 2 years ago.

These random shutdowns were happening in the old case too, so I'd like to think it's nothing to do with the case. I've had a look around and can't see anywhere that the motherboard is contacting the case, other than where it sits on the standoffs.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Or does it sound like my PC beginning to die a death?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Thanks for the reply Colif.
it is 7 years old. They don't last forever. PSU would have been my guess too.

it could be GPU since it shuts down in games. they are also the most likely to die of old age.
it could be mb with failing parts.

I would get a repair shop to look at it and see what they think. It beats guessing.

Thanks for the reply Colif. Turns out it was Thermal Shutdown. I found out the thermal threshold on these FX chips is ~80C. Some new thermal paste seems to have solved the issue but it can't hurt to have replaced the PSU given its age.

Colif

Win 11 Master

it could be GPU since it shuts down in games. they are also the most likely to die of old age.

I would get a repair shop to look at it and see what they think. It beats guessing.

Dec 27, 2020
Thanks for the reply Colif.

Thanks for the reply Colif. Turns out it was Thermal Shutdown. I found out the thermal threshold on these FX chips is ~80C. Some new thermal paste seems to have solved the issue but it can't hurt to have replaced the PSU given its age.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS