PC Randomly shutting down then rebooting

Stirlo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
Hey guys,

Recently my PC has run into a bit of a weird problem. Over the last few days my PC has started shutting down without notice. At first it happened once, maybe a day or two would pass, then it would shut down again. And now it is shutting down anywhere from once every few hours to once an hour with a few periods of grace inbetween.

I've updated windows, GPU drivers, I've updated BIOS, temps all round are good (CPU, PSU, GPU etc).

I don't recall installing any major programs prior to these shutdowns that would cause such an issue.

My specs are:

Intel i7 6700 w/ Corsair H80i AIO
MSI Z170 Gaming M7 Mobo
4x4GB Corsair 2800MHz DDR4
Gigabye 1070 G1 Gaming
Samsung 850 EVO m.2 SSD
Corsair AX 860i PSU

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 19, 2018
I'd start by having a look at the PSU.

The 760i and 860i have a known issue of boot loop/ unexpected shutdowns. Google it, and you'll see that there are a high number of reports on various sites/ Corsair forums, despite the PSU tier etc.

All the symptoms you describe are exactly what happens.

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Does it power straight off or does Windows say "Shutting down" and goes through normal shut down sequence. Also what are the temps of your CPU and what are you doing on your PC when it shuts down?

Essentially trying to decipher if power is cut straight from the PC or whether windows acknowledges a shut down sequence and whether the PC is under heavy load when it shuts down.

Stirlo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014

The system just shuts off and reboots, doesn't go to the windows "shutting down" screen.
CPU has been sitting between 30c and 50c ish depending on wether I'm in a game or not.
I've had shut downs while playing games as well as just sitting here watching youtube.

Stirlo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014

Yeah, the system immediately switches off, it doesn't go into the windows "shutting down" stage. Then proceeds to reboot back into windows

Stirlo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014

I'm running an MSI board so I use Live Update to keep BIOS updated, is there a way to check BIOS version to check?
P.S Haven't tried reinstalling windows as of yet as I don't have a boot drive accessible to do so. Also I have alot of stuff i don't really want to lose - again, dont have an external drive to back stuff up at the moment

Stirlo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014

I bought this PSU thinking it was a decent PSU. It has plenty of headroom in case I wanted to run an SLI setup. May have to RMA it i guess?

Stirlo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014

I havent tried reinstalling windows as I dont have anything to create a boot drive with, and according to the bios during boot, it says:

"BIOS Ver: E7976MS.1B0"
"BIOS Build Date: 02/22/2016"

I've been using MSI live update to keep things up to date.

UPDATE: Since posting this I have now been informed of the correct way to update BIOS. I purchased a USB, downloaded the BIOS update from MSI and have since updated. However, the random shut downs and reboots persist. I took the PC apart, resat my RAM, resat all the plugs from the PSU to other components. The problem remains.

TRENDING THREADS