Mar 8, 2021
Hi all.

I upgraded from an RX 570 8gb to a ZOTAC 1660 TI about 3 weeks ago. I used DDU within the first day of getting the graphics card to remove pre-existing drivers and all was well until recently I've been getting random shut downs when I'm playing games like GTA and Fortnite and when the PC completely shuts down the RGB RAM inside my system still lights up.

It's not my temperatures as I monitor them when I'm playing games and they sit at a healthy temperature. I reset my PC completely, deleted files, apps etc. and the problem still occurs, I have made sure all the connections are secure inside of the system and they're all fine, 24 pin plugged in fine, 8 pin GPU plugged in fine, CPU connector plugged in fine and the problem still occurs. I am starting to lean towards the power supply being the main issue as it's been used in 2 rigs prior to being in mine and admittedly it is a cheap 700W Chinese branded PSU.

Is there anything else I should try? Before I just buy a new PSU. Remember, I've tried DDU, reset windows, reconnected connections inside the system and cleaned the whole computer out.

Solution
Surely if it was the power supply then the problem would be persisting even when I'm not playing games or is that a silly assumption?
When you are playing a game you are placing a load on the power supply. A PSU can be fine with a minimal load and fall over with a moderate or high load. For your budget I would suggest this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£76.98 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £76.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-30 23:30 BST+0100

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I am starting to lean towards the power supply being the main issue as it's been used in 2 rigs prior to being in mine and admittedly it is a cheap 700W Chinese branded PSU.
What PSU's do you have access to? What sort of a budget are you leaning on and what sort of a build do you have? The PSU isn't the only thing demanding power from the PSU.

Best list your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Reactions: Stephanie_Sy
Mar 8, 2021
Hi,

I have access to no other PSU's and anything around the £75 mark is fine for me. Surely if it was the power supply then the problem would be persisting even when I'm not playing games or is that a silly assumption?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M S2H V2
GPU: ZOTAC 1660TI 6GB
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3200mhz
SSD: WD Green 240GB
HDD: WD Blue 2TB
PSU: unsure.'
Chassis: Aerocool Cylon

Stephanie_Sy

Prominent
Mar 1, 2021
Before you buy a new PSU, check the motherboard. If the motherboard is loaded with a 3000 frequency or anything beyond that, it is likely to crash. Check the GPU as well. Even if the temperature of the GPU looks fine, it is still worth checking. Computers usually reboot once they overheat. Don't forget to enable Game Mode.

Surely if it was the power supply then the problem would be persisting even when I'm not playing games or is that a silly assumption?
When you are playing a game you are placing a load on the power supply. A PSU can be fine with a minimal load and fall over with a moderate or high load. For your budget I would suggest this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£76.98 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £76.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-30 23:30 BST+0100

Solution

TRENDING THREADS