[SOLVED] Pc randomly shutting down

Jul 31, 2021
Hey guys,

In April I bought a r5 5600x and b450 tomahawk max. After everything was set up I turned my pc and it was working for like 30 minutes and it just shut down. My monitor goes black and it displays "no signal entering power saving mode" (something like that).
The fans were spinning but I would get a black screen and that's it.

In the event viewer, I would get the kernel-power 41 error and I thought that I did something wrong while I was setting up my pc. I've checked all the cables, RAM, GPU and everything is fine. I even opened my pc so I can be sure that there is no dust or anything in the fans.

At the beginning, it wasn't a big deal since I could just open my League client and the pc wouldn't shut down. If I was watching YouTube or doing anything that is less demanding without having League or a different game opened, my pc would just shut down.
Recently, this became a big issue. I couldn't even get to my desktop since my pc would just shut down in the Welcoming screen. My CPU temps were quite high (up to 90 degrees). I would turn the pc and it my CPU would be on 60 degrees in no time. Few days ago I've decided to put back my old r5 1600 and check if the CPU is the issue.

For some reason, my pc shut down just once and it was working quite nicely. Then, I decided to put my CPU fan speed to max and put back my r5 5600x and the pc didn't shut down. I could do all the stuff I would normally do without having a game opened, until yesterday.

My pc again, started shutting down and I've opened it and replaced the CPU's again and the same happened.

I did a TM5 stress test memory on both of my CPU's and everything was ok with the r5 1600 but as soon as I started doing the test with my r5 5600x I've received like 10 errors in 1 minute.

Could it be a psu problem or is the problem even worse?

Currently I own a 650W platinum msi psu which I bought for like 50 bucks 4 years ago, a 1050ti and 16gb ddr4 3400mhz.

Solution
Hey, my specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
mobo: b450 tomahawk max
cooler: stock cooler
ram: Patriot Viper Steel 16gb ddr4 3400mhz
HDD: Toshiba 1tb, I don't have an ssd
PSU: MSI Platinum pro 80+ 600w (i wrote 650W in my original message by mistake)
CASE: MS winston
Fans: Only 1 intake fan, some MS <Mod Edit> fan xd

I'll probably buy the Corsair RM750x psu and a noctua nh-d15 in a few days.
I am thinking that it is the PSU to blame. A better heatsink is also a good idea although you could perhaps get a slightly cheaper one and still be fine and an extra case fan or two. The D15 is large so best to double-check it will fit
Hey guys,

In April I bought a r5 5600x and b450 tomahawk max. After everything was set up I turned my pc and it was working for like 30 minutes and it just shut down. My monitor goes black and it displays "no signal entering power saving mode" (something like that).
The fans were spinning but I would get a black screen and that's it.

In the event viewer, I would get the kernel-power 41 error and I thought that I did something wrong while I was setting up my pc. I've checked all the cables, RAM, GPU and everything is fine. I even opened my pc so I can be sure that there is no dust or anything in the fans.

At the beginning, it wasn't a big deal since I could just open my League client and the pc wouldn't shut down. If I was watching YouTube or doing anything that is less demanding without having League or a different game opened, my pc would just shut down.
Recently, this became a big issue. I couldn't even get to my desktop since my pc would just shut down in the Welcoming screen. My CPU temps were quite high (up to 90 degrees). I would turn the pc and it my CPU would be on 60 degrees in no time. Few days ago I've decided to put back my old r5 1600 and check if the CPU is the issue.

For some reason, my pc shut down just once and it was working quite nicely. Then, I decided to put my CPU fan speed to max and put back my r5 5600x and the pc didn't shut down. I could do all the stuff I would normally do without having a game opened, until yesterday.

My pc again, started shutting down and I've opened it and replaced the CPU's again and the same happened.

I did a TM5 stress test memory on both of my CPU's and everything was ok with the r5 1600 but as soon as I started doing the test with my r5 5600x I've received like 10 errors in 1 minute.

Could it be a psu problem or is the problem even worse?

Currently I own a 650W platinum msi psu which I bought for like 50 bucks 4 years ago, a 1050ti and 16gb ddr4 3400mhz.
Latest bios for the motherboard? Cooling could be the issue, what case cooling do you have, fans? Which CPU heatsink do you use?

Jul 31, 2021
Latest bios for the motherboard? Cooling could be the issue, what case cooling do you have, fans? Which CPU heatsink do you use?
I've updated my bios few days ago. I only have 1 intake fan and a stock cooler for my CPU and my case is currently opened. As well, I use the Artic MX-4 thermal paste on my CPU

Jul 31, 2021
The stock cooler is only good if you have good case airflow, one case fan probably isn't enough.
Quick update, just did a OCCT stress test using my r5 1600 and my pc shut down 25 mins in. I had the "cpu errors found on physical core #3 virtual core #7" error 5 mins in.

Your post is a little hard to follow, did you say that everything was fine when you swapped back to your old CPU the r5 1600? Then lots of errors with the new 5600x? I mean I guess it is possible the problem lies with the 5600x although I think it is rare. You have the latest bios and chipset drivers from AMD?
Also the PSU you say you bought a platinum PSU for $50 4 years ago, that sounds cheap so did you buy it used?

Jul 31, 2021
Since I can't use my 5600x because my pc turns off instantly, I decided to try the stress test using my r5 1600 about an hour ago. Then my pc crashed around 25 minutes in. My bios is updated but I didn't install the AMD chipset drivers. I'll install the driver now.

The PSU was new. Here is the picture of the PSU since its a bit rare.

Since I can't use my 5600x because my pc turns off instantly, I decided to try the stress test using my r5 1600 about an hour ago. Then my pc crashed around 25 minutes in. My bios is updated but I didn't install the AMD chipset drivers. I'll install the driver now.

The PSU was new. Here is the picture of the PSU since its a bit rare.

Is that a good PSU? I have no idea. It says it has a connection for a floppy disk drive and molex power connectors which are very outdated now so that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Get a better PSU , period. Now, as stated by you, the temps touched 90 in windows on idle, which states there is an intermittent heaating problem... Get a good thermalpaste, maybe noctua nh1 or coolermaster mastergel maker pro; also check the cooler whichever u have as u haven't mentioned whther its an air cooler or water cooled,
And pls list ur specs:
CPU:
MOBO:
Cooler:
RAM:
HDD:
SSD:
PSU:
CASE:
FANS:

Jul 31, 2021
Is that a good PSU? I have no idea. It says it has a connection for a floppy disk drive and molex power connectors which are very outdated now so that doesn't fill me with confidence.
I bought it when I was building a pc back in 2017 and I had a low budget so I went with it. I think the psu is the problem so I'll probably buy a Corsair RM750x and a noctua nh-d15 in a few days and I'll update you. Thank you for your help!

Jul 31, 2021
Get a better PSU , period. Now, as stated by you, the temps touched 90 in windows on idle, which states there is an intermittent heaating problem... Get a good thermalpaste, maybe noctua nh1 or coolermaster mastergel maker pro; also check the cooler whichever u have as u haven't mentioned whther its an air cooler or water cooled,
And pls list ur specs:
CPU:
MOBO:
Cooler:
RAM:
HDD:
SSD:
PSU:
CASE:
FANS:
Hey, my specs are:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, my specs are:

I am thinking that it is the PSU to blame. A better heatsink is also a good idea although you could perhaps get a slightly cheaper one and still be fine and an extra case fan or two. The D15 is large so best to double-check it will fit

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 31, 2021
I dont think its an msi PSU, u may have gotten it wrong, It must be MS PSU as shown by the image u linked in ur previous post
Yea, its an ms psu, my bad. Its probably <Mod Edit> so I'll change it in a few days and update you. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2021
The case said it supports a cpu cooler height up to 163mm while the nh-d15 is 165mm. I'll probably buy it and keep the side panel opened and then buy a new case with more fans.

The new stuff should come in the next 10 days and I'll update you. Thank you for your help brother!

Last edited: