spiphix

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi All,

Hardware newbie here so bare with me.

I've moved house this year and noticed after the move my PC will randomly shutdown. Sometimes when using Chrome, often when I'm reopening lots of chrome tabs from a previous shutdown, other times in the middle of playing a video game. Seemingly random, but only when I'm using the PC, if left to sleep or whatever, it won't happen. Makes me think there's some sort of issue when there's a certain amount of load or usage on the CPU? The PC was never damaged or banged around during the move, however, prior to the move there was no issue.

When it shuts down from normal use (not when running Prime95) I get this BSOD error:
whea_uncorrectable_error

What I've tried:
  • I ran memtest which detected zero errors or issues.
  • Applying new thermal paste and reseating the CPU.
  • Resetting Windows10. (Reset & removing all files, but not a clean re-install)
  • Drivers are up to date (though haven't confirmed if any are
  • Run Prime95.
When running Prime95 to test, the PC reboots instantly. I'm talking instantly, like instantly the second I hit run with no BSOD or error message.

PC Hardware (everything is stock):
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK (BIOS Version F6)
CPU: i7-4790K
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
PSU: Corsair RM750X

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be the issue or what else to try? I don't have a 2nd CPU to swap in and test to compare but hoping the CPU isn't dead.

Thanks for any help.

TRENDING THREADS