FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Hello Forum users,

Since a couple months my dad expierences random shut downs on his pc. All screens go black, but the pc, keyboard and mouse stay on. The only way for him to use the pc again is to give it a hard restart.

It just happens completely random, not only when running certain games, but even when browsing.
My dad uses a prebuilt MSI desktop PC:

MSI TRIDENT A 9SC-218EU msi
Specs:
Rtx 2060
450W 80 Plus Bronze PSU
16 Gb's of RAM
Intel® Core™ i5-9400

Is there anyone that knows a solution, or things I can test? Please let us know.

Last edited:
Very high chance that the PSU is failing. Had similar issues before. Also 450W is too less for 2060 and an i7 9th. IF you add fans and storage etc, I think you might be going over the power limit and the PSU is just tired of it and decided to go AWOL.

Reactions: FastbackNL

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Very high chance that the PSU is failing. Had similar issues before. Also 450W is too less for 2060 and an i7 9th. IF you add fans and storage etc, I think you might be going over the power limit and the PSU is just tired of it and decided to go AWOL.
Hi Tioym, it's an MSI prebuild, so I dont think 450 W is too less, and other wise a really bad job from MSI. Im not 100% sure If its 450, but thats what the website says. Thanks for your comment!

Aug 30, 2022
best place to start is by collecting accurate sysinfo. take good photos of the components. use the operating system utilities to report all hardware details. in the end, it could be something subtle like an inappropriate bios version or failure to load the appropriate microcode when booting. gotta work from the ground up.

Reactions: FastbackNL

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
best place to start is by collecting accurate sysinfo. take good photos of the components. use the operating system utilities to report all hardware details. in the end, it could be something subtle like an inappropriate bios version or failure to load the appropriate microcode when booting. gotta work from the ground up.
Thanks for your reply, I will update the specs tomorrow. Is there anything else I can try? I've already reset the pc and removed gpu drivers.

Aug 30, 2022
Thanks for your reply, I will update the specs tomorrow. Is there anything else I can try? I've already reset the pc and removed gpu drivers.
TBH, i'm a unix guy. personally, i would boot from a linux live usb because the hardware detection and auto-config are good. then could inspect every aspect of my rig.

Hi Tioym, it's an MSI prebuild, so I dont think 450 W is too less, and other wise a really bad job from MSI. Im not 100% sure If its 450, but thats what the website says. Thanks for your comment!

I think its kinda bad job with MSI because they should known that
Minimum Recommended PSU500 W

So with all your other stuff like motherboard cpu and ram and fans 450W is not really enough for you to game on and its shutting down your computer in order to protect itsself

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Hello guys, I now know for sure that its the MSI TRIDENT A 9SC-218EU (I have changed the information). And what I can find online is that it still has a 450 W psu. So thats weird. When my dad was starting his pc up, he also got a black screen with some text, which said something over the GPU, so maybe that's the problem?