PC randomly shutting off, then booting back up and cycling between on / off until I unplug it

evanphillips

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Cpu: i5-4460

Gpu: msi r9 390 gaming 8g

Motherboard: msi h81m-e34

PSU: EVGA 600b bronze 80+

Ram: cheapest 8gb ddr3 I could find

HDD: not sure exactly model but Toshiba 2tb 7200rpm

Ssd: Samsung 850 Evo that I boot Windows from

No surge protector

Windows 10 64 bit

So this has been a recent thing. PC has been working well for over a year now. Recently though I started getting some bsod's occasionally. Usually different error messages every time but the only one I took note of was a memory_management. Soon after it started occurring where my PC will run anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours, then randomly hard shut off. then try to boot back up but just start cycling on and off for a few seconds at a time until I pull the plug. Worrisome since I have a lot of important data on there I haven't backed up. I have an external drive I can back it up on but don't want to risk the hard shut off occuring mid-transfer and possibly damaging the drive?

Could be a PSU problem? Maybe motherboard or cpu? Something to do with Ram cause of the blue screens I was getting before this happened? Would really appreciate any insight! Thanks for reading.

OwenTheGamer

Honorable
Aug 13, 2016
From what I’ve seen on the internet and since you also got an error about memory management I’m assuming it’s probably the memory. If you can swap out the memory and see if the problem still occurs. You could also run memtest to see if any faults pop up

Reactions: evanphillips

evanphillips

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
From what I’ve seen on the internet and since you also got an error about memory management I’m assuming it’s probably the memory. If you can swap out the memory and see if the problem still occurs. You could also run memtest to see if any faults pop up

Thank You! Seems to have worked, will update if it stops working