Question PC Randomly Shutting Off

Jan 31, 2022
Hey guys, I'm having a confusing issue with my PC. Recently it's been shutting off randomly. Not like shutting down, but instantly turning completely turning off and turning back on again. It seems to only do it when playing a game on Steam called Oxygen Not Included (Although I have come back to my computer over night to see that it has restarted some times) and when trying to charge my phone through the computer. Here's what I've tried:

1. Using Open Hardware Monitor to track temps: My CPU temp only gets up to 80° C briefly. Which is sort of high, but isn't always consistent with shutoffs. Sometimes it's hot when it shuts off, sometimes it’s normal (around 40 C)
  2. Updating Drivers: I've made sure the drivers for everything are up to date, including BIOS and uninstalling old drivers with DDU. I’ve also verified local game files and reinstalled ONI in case it’s a software issue, which I doubt anyways.
  3. Upgrading my PSU: My newer computer was built using my older computer's PSU. It was a 500w Bronze modular PSU, and about 7 years old. With my PC shutting off when I try to charge my phone as well, I figured it might be a power shortage issue. So I just bought a new EVGA 750w Gold PSU, which is a welcome upgrade but unfortunately, the issue still persisted while trying to play ONI today.
Shut offs are rare when not playing the game, though I know they still happen over night or when it’s idle some times. So I don't know what else to do, especially because I'd like to avoid purchasing new hardware because I've already replaced the PSU, though I can if that's the solution. I just want to make sure I know the problem before I spend more money trying to fix it. I appreciate anybody's feedback. Here's my PC's specs for more info:

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus (Wi-Fi) with BIOS version 4022
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 Super
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ
RAM: Corsair 32 GB (16x2) in slots A2 and B2

In the Event Viewer, the shut offs are accompanied with the following error:

“A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 10”

I’ve been doing as much research as I can but am reaching a dead end as far as solutions go. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you for your motherboard? Which slots are you populating the rams sticks with on the board? What version of Windows 10 are you on? Windows 10 Home is the edition of the OS, not the version. Make and model of the case and perhaps the cooler? Instead of all the back and forth, you merely could've just backed up your critical content and then reinstalled the OS after recreating your bootable USB installer.

As for driver installations, manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jan 31, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you for your motherboard? Which slots are you populating the rams sticks with on the board? What version of Windows 10 are you on? Windows 10 Home is the edition of the OS, not the version. Make and model of the case and perhaps the cooler? Instead of all the back and forth, you merely could've just backed up your critical content and then reinstalled the OS after recreating your bootable USB installer.

As for driver installations, manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Alright so here's the info you requested (And I'll add to the original post):

BIOS Version: 3801
RAM Slots: A2 and B2 (Recommended in the manual)
Windows Version: 10.0.19043
Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA (https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-carbide-spec-delta-rgb-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811139136?item=N82E16811139136&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cases+(computer+cases+-+atx+form)-_-N82E16811139136&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0eOPBhCGARIsAFIwTs6OloyCM9WQf1PpcA6zlnY52MVRUdx5OomA0UAWCyqvb3hYoJMmMqsaAleAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) with an RGB cooler master heatsink on the CPU.

And yeah I have no idea why I thought that the back and forth was the better solution than just backing up the important files and reinstalling windows.

In the mean time I will start reinstalling some drivers as Administrator.

Update: I’ve updated all the main motherboard drivers (some needed updating) and the BIOS but still no luck.

However, I’m looking at some of the windows logs and there is one labeled critical around the time my pc last switched off that seems to reference the processor. Here's what that log says:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

Last edited: