Question Pc randomly slows down and crashes while playing some games, never crashes while playing others.

Dec 15, 2021
Hello, folks.

I've had this PC for almost 10 months now, and since day 1 I've faced this problem. When the issue occurs, the PC gets really slow (whatever game I'm playing gets a huge fps drop) and if I try to alt + tab or quit the game, it crashes. It also crashes after a while if I do nothing. I always get this problem after 10-20 minutes of playing minecraft and within 30 minutes of Hearthstone. It also happenned when I was learning blender and alt tabbing frequently to youtube on Opera GX. I'ts important noting that this is my first PC and that I'm a noob at any PC related subject.

Here are the specs:

APU: Ryzen 3 3200G with vega 8 integrated graphics
Mobo: Colorful AB350M-K PRO V14
RAM: 2x Geil Super Luce RGB 3000MHz
Power Supply: Corsair VS500
SSD Kingston 240GB

I have found a video on YouTube that gave me a workaround for this: editing the power plan in the control panel under Energy Options. After clicking in the "changed advanced power settings" option, I changed the minimum and maximum processors states from 100% to 99%. [See image below for reference]

After I did this, the problem was solved, but It cost me a considerable amount of performance. The PC feels slower and I get less FPS in any game.

Some people have told me to update BIOS, but I haven't found any tutorials at all for this mobo, and the BIOS version apparently is newer than the latest one from the official manufacturer website. So I'm very confused and afraid I'll brick the pc by doing something wrong with the installation.

How do I solve this without using the power plan method? Is it even possible?

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you know what kind of CPU cooler are you using? It's possible it's not installed correctly, which can cause the processor to throttle and cause sluggish performance to the point of crashing.

Reactions: pinkmaggit
Dec 15, 2021
Do you know what kind of CPU cooler are you using? It's possible it's not installed correctly, which can cause the processor to throttle and cause sluggish performance to the point of crashing.
It's the one that came with the APU, the Wraith Stealth. I believe it's installed correctly, as I don't have overheating issues, but I don't know.

ASK THE COMMUNITY