[SOLVED] PC randomly stopped booting with two sticks

StarCry

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
So last week I went to visit some family members, leaving my PC unused for a few days. When I got back home I booted it up, only to be greeted with a freeze and then a refusal to boot up again. My motherboard spat out error codes CC and 55 (ASUS) and after much fiddling the only way I could get a boot was to remove one memory module entirely.

I have managed to boot off of both sticks independently, so I know that neither has died on me and I have tried using the other pair of DIMM slots to no avail. I have tried reseating my CPU cooler (which had fixed previous instances of CC/55), changing the RAM settings back to default in the BIOS and also enabling/disabling XMP profile.

I have had this setup running absolutely fine for quite a while now with no issues and am really confused as to what has caused this and how to fix it :/ Any suggestions much appreciated!

Solution
I had an old board with 4 sticks of DDR3 in it that would only run 3 instead of 4 and upped the voltage on the ram a hair and it worked, You might try replugging all your power connectors ,humidity might have got in the connectors while you were gone.

Lutfij

Titan
Since this is a troubleshooting thread, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which version of the BIOS are you on? Parse a link to the rams you're working with. Also, please state which slots you'd used to wok with the ram(kit).

Reactions: lynx1021

StarCry

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
CPU: i5 6600k
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400MHz (https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 )
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 (1)/860(2)/970(1) EVO/ WD Blue/Seagate Barracuda/Hitachi
GPU: Palit Jetstream 2070 Super
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W G2
Chassis: SilverStone RL06
Bios: 1301

The RAM was originally in slots 2+4 and used to work fine. Currently I only have slot 4 populated so I'm not stuck with a very expensive brick in the mean time haha

lynx1021

Distinguished
I had an old board with 4 sticks of DDR3 in it that would only run 3 instead of 4 and upped the voltage on the ram a hair and it worked, You might try replugging all your power connectors ,humidity might have got in the connectors while you were gone.

Solution

StarCry

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Replugged all of the power cables today and it worked straight away, thanks!! Not a fix that I ever would have though of haha