Question PC Randomly stopped working (no signal)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BBNP

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Hi sorry I really have no idea where to post my problem. I also posted on Reddit so I'll just copy paste my post.

Hi guys this is a fairly new build. It's been working perfectly for the past 2 months. I was watching YouTube and I randomly got "no signal" and now I can't get it to work anymore. My GPU fan is spinning and the light on it is turning on so I'm not sure what's the problem. Restarted my PC when it happened and it just won't get signal anymore.

Here's my spec :
GPU : 5700XT Red Devil
MOBO : MSI Tomahawk Max
CPU : Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM : 2x 8gb Corsair vengeance
PSU : EVGA supernova 750 G3
Monitor 1 : BENQ XL2411P
Monitor 2 : Samsung LC24F390FHNXZA

Update : GPU Fans are actually not spinning. (But I believe they only spin when hot.)

Update 2 : tried removing and reinstalling the GPU but it didn't help. Also made sure all the cables are plugged correctly.

Update 3 : tried changing my GPU to an old one I had laying around and it still don't work. (This gpu as well as the other one's light does turn on.) My mouse and keyboard light doesn't turn on tho. Im 80% sure the light on my mouse would turn on as soon as I powered my pc.

Last edited:

BBNP

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
if cpu led stay means it is in error should go from cpu to ram and gpu then boot led if any of them stay lit check this part first also made sure was having the bios version to support the ryzen 3 cpu .

The led doesn't stay, it light up for a second then stops. I have no idea what it means when the cpu light turns on for a sec then stops. The pc was working fine and randomly stopped working. Everything was updated.

I've tried what you mentioned and still nothing. I bought a mobo speaker and it doesn't beep at all.
https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/fix-computer-post-beep-issue/ try the troubleshooting steps; with the motherboard speaker u will be able to find the culprit... take out the ram, gpu and try to turn it on, check for the beeps, search the internet, put the ram back in, hear the beeps, check on google... do this step by step... good luck.

Reactions: BBNP

BBNP

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Hi I'm back. I received a new motherboard, installed it but it still won't post. I don't know what to do anymore. Help!

Motherboard : Asrock x570 phantom gaming 4

Edit : The boot light on the motherboard light red. And just like with the old motherboard, the keyboard and mouse aren't lighting up.

Edit 2 : no beep coming from mobo speaker

Edit 3: yes the standoffs are correct.

Last edited:
Hi I'm back. I received a new motherboard, installed it but it still won't post. I don't know what to do anymore. Help!

Motherboard : Asrock x570 phantom gaming 4

Edit : The boot light on the motherboard light red. And just like with the old motherboard, the keyboard and mouse aren't lighting up.

Edit 2 : no beep coming from mobo speaker

Edit 3: yes the standoffs are correct.
It seems ur power supply... try a spare one...

BBNP

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
It seems ur power supply... try a spare one...
But I tried the PSU on an older PC and it worked fine, is it really the PSU?
Can the PSU work on an older PC but not on mine ? Even when I tried running the PC with no GPU only integrated graphic card?

What minimum wattage do you recommend?

Last edited:

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Trick: That old PC might have that speaker (buzzer) inside. If it boots with a series of beeps (common in old PC's) it has one. Most likely sitting hot glued inside the front panel of the case. You're looking for a small black cylinder with two cables (IO pins) extruding. It also has a hole in the middle. Connect it to the SPEAKER IO ports on your case.

BBNP

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Trick: That old PC might have that speaker (buzzer) inside. If it boots with a series of beeps (common in old PC's) it has one. Most likely sitting hot glued inside the front panel of the case. You're looking for a small black cylinder with two cables (IO pins) extruding. It also has a hole in the middle. Connect it to the SPEAKER IO ports on your case.

My older PC doesn't beep on boot, I don't think it has a speaker. And I actually have a speaker (3 actually) but it doesn't beep whenever I boot the PC. Not sure if all 3 speaker are defective or I'm not plugging it in the right slot. But I plugged it in the right slow according to the motherboard document.

But I tried the PSU on an older PC and it worked fine, is it really the PSU?
Can the PSU work on an older PC but not on mine ? Even when I tried running the PC with no GPU only integrated graphic card?

What minimum wattage do you recommend?
Yes it may be... Minimum wattage wud be 650 watt for ur setup... If it's new try rma'ing the psu and see if it works, or try the same GPU jn ur older pc and see if it works with the GPU...

Reactions: BBNP

BBNP

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Yes it may be... Minimum wattage wud be 650 watt for ur setup... If it's new try rma'ing the psu and see if it works, or try the same GPU jn ur older pc and see if it works with the GPU...

Okay thank you, my friend my have one I can borrow. I'll update when I get it.

The gpu was tested on another PC and worked fine.

BBNP

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
So I got a psu from a friend and I was able to boot to the bios the first time but once I restarted the pc to boot from usb, it wouldn't post anymore. Tried unplugging the usb, switch ram and still won't post.

On my second boot (when tried booting from usb) I got cpu and ram led flashing one after another non stop. I reseated my ram and now it stopped but still won't boot.

Tried resetting CMOS by removing battery for 15 mins but it didn't help.

Last edited: