Question PC randomly stops POSTing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneSillyDaniel

Prominent
Dec 6, 2021
Okay so yesterday i was playing dead space 3 for like 6 hours and nothing bad happened (sometimes it had mini freezes but they were very rare and quick), i was able to turn off the computer normally and everything was fine, today i turned on the computer and surfed the web for like 15 minutes and it froze up (audio looped), did a hard shutdown then bam,no signal,mind you this isn't the first time it happens, i remember one instance where i hadn't used the computer for like at least a month because it had no signal so i thought it was dead and decided to turn it on just to see, it came back from the dead and worked for weeks!, until it decided to not work again.

Things don't seem to have any relationship of cause and effect, it happens when the computer isn't on any significant load and then sometimes it works for hours/weeks with a heavy load and nothing else was messed around with.

Now before you ask, i have done a ram reset before, that worked twice until it didn't (side note: i tried removing both sticks of ram to see if the motherboard beeped accordingly and it did so i don't think its the motherboard), i have done a cmos battery reset, that worked a couple of times until it didn't, i tried putting another gpu to see if it was the culprit, it was not because it made no difference, tried checking for loose wires, everything was fine, have tried to take out the gpu and use motherboard hdmi port since this cpu has integrated graphics but no change, cleaned ram sticks again nothing, tried scanning for weird dust build-up on the computer, the motherboard had little to no dust, tried removing the HDD to see if it booted up in the bios, nothing, removed the heatsink to check cpu also seemed fine.

Also noticed that pressing the delete button seems to help increase the chances of successfully posting but it might be just pure coincidence Underclocking the gpu helped maintain stability but it happened again eventually (the computer freezed up even in the bios and no signal and this happened after it decided to restart on its own).

Forgot to mention yesterday it stopped posting twice before it stabilized and ran like butter for hours, got it up and running doing ???, again it's hard to tell.

With the computer working i have done power stress tests and it froze the computer most of the time after like 3-5 mins but sometimes it lasted a long time without freezing.

When the computer does post again, if i turn it off and the on again it will also post with no issue so why does it stop posting during multiple attempts if it works fine after one working attempt, another strange thing.

I really suspect it's my power supply because it started making a weird ticking noise after a power outage but that was like 2 years ago and it never gave me any trouble besides the extra noise but i wonder if it was just slowly dying all along and so it's causing all of this mess??

Another thing i have noticed is that sometimes when i try to boot up my computer the debug light of the CPU lights up but it doesn't do that every time so again might be a symptom of something else.

Please help me, i am going insane with the huge amount of randomness and nothing seems to be obvious at all or correlated. I also don't wanna spend money on a new build because its not worth it with the gpu inflation and for the types of games i play, this computer is more than enough.

All points to a a PSU fault but i need other opinions.

Pc specs:

Cpu :i5 6400 Skylade 2.70 GHz
Gpu :MSI GTX 760 2gb Vram
Ram: 16gb of ddr4 (2x8)
Mobo: MSI B150M PRO-VH
PSU: Seasonic S12 520 watt bronze with 80 efficiency rating

Sorry if some things seem badly written, i am not a native speaker and sorry for the big text haha.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build? Is it the S12II by any chance? At this point, if you want to rule out the PSU being the culprit in this story, you should source a donor PSU that is reliably built and has at least 550W of power for the entire system's disposal, sourced from a friend or neighbor to narrow down the issue. Got a link to the ram kit used? BIOS version for your motherboard? What OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on?

OneSillyDaniel

Prominent
Dec 6, 2021
How old is the PSU in your build? Is it the S12II by any chance? At this point, if you want to rule out the PSU being the culprit in this story, you should source a donor PSU that is reliably built and has at least 550W of power for the entire system's disposal, sourced from a friend or neighbor to narrow down the issue. Got a link to the ram kit used? BIOS version for your motherboard? What OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on?

Yes its that PSU exactly, its from 2016 so about 5 years old and the ram is kingston fury hyperx ddr4 8gb 2133 mhz, its something like this https://gocdkeys.pt/comprar-kingston-hyperx-fury-ddr4-2133-pc4-17000-4gb-cl14-memoria-ram except its on 2x8 gb format , can't find the kit im using, don't know what is the BIOS verson on my motherboard and the OS is windows 10 pro 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.