PC randomly stops working

DeumBelli

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
Lately ive been having this weird issue and i have no idea where to even start to diagnose this problem.

Ok so, no matter what im doing whether its just watching videos, browsing the web, or playing games it happens randomly and unexpectedly.

When it happens sometimes it slowly happens, everything will start moving slower such as the start menu takes longer to pop up and its literaelly moves slower and when i hover my mouse over stuff it takes a while for the computer to register what the mouse in over. Eventually everything will stop responding altogether not being able to close windows or do anything via keyboard forcing me to restart. But what i find strange is how the mouse still moves about normally even after everything stopped working.

I never have any warning as to when it will happen as sometimes i will be doing something demanding such as gaming and sometimes just watching youtube when it happens. And its not all the time it happens sometimes it can go days without it happening and sometimes twice a day.

Just in case here are my specs
i5 4690k
MSI GTX 1080
8gb ddr3-1866
SSD main drive
HDD secondary
evga supernova g2 750watt psu

Solution
While I can't say what might be causing the problem, there are a couple things you can try.

1) Remove and firmly reseat (plug back in) the memory. Make sure the stick (or both/all sticks) are properly seated.

2) Remove and firmly reseat the graphics card. This probably won't change anything, but it can't hurt.

3) Ensure that all cables coming from the power supply are firmly connected into the ports on the motherboard and all hard drives. The graphics card, too.

4) Perform a SMART test on the hard drive. You mentioned your PC starts moving slower, for that reason I am suspicious of your hard drives. Download CrystalDiskInfo Standard Edition (or the Shizuku Edition if you are so inclined) and run it. CrystalDiskInfo will tell...

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
While I can't say what might be causing the problem, there are a couple things you can try.

1) Remove and firmly reseat (plug back in) the memory. Make sure the stick (or both/all sticks) are properly seated.

2) Remove and firmly reseat the graphics card. This probably won't change anything, but it can't hurt.

3) Ensure that all cables coming from the power supply are firmly connected into the ports on the motherboard and all hard drives. The graphics card, too.

4) Perform a SMART test on the hard drive. You mentioned your PC starts moving slower, for that reason I am suspicious of your hard drives. Download CrystalDiskInfo Standard Edition (or the Shizuku Edition if you are so inclined) and run it. CrystalDiskInfo will tell you if there is a problem with any of your hard drives.

Assuming you are running Windows, you may also wish to check your Windows error logs. You can do this by typing 'Event Viewer' in the Start Menu and clicking on it when it pops up. Windows logs is an option in the left pane. If there are a lot of errors popping up there may be something wrong with your Windows installation.

Best of luck to you.

Solution