Question PC randomly switches itself off ?

Mac247

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
Hi,

I'm having isssues with my ~1 y/o PC, spec below:

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card
Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
WD Blue 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (recent addition)

About 6 weeks ago I had my first crash on the PC since I built it. It was a normal error encountered blue screen but I couldn't get the SSD to boot Windows again and I thought it had died. Eventually I worked out the SSD needed to remap and I let it do it's thing but by that point I had the new M.2 ordered(I needed the extra space anyway). A few days after installing the new SSD, the PC switched off without warning, and over the next week it did it a couple of times more.

The switch offs didn't seem to be related to doing anything particularly intensive but did come when I'd had the PC on for most of the day. My first thought was that it was an overheating issue and my stock CPU fan was a bit loud and I thought maybe it was struggling. So two birds with one stone, I got a Scythe Mugen 5 cpu fan as I thought it should also improve the airflow in the case regardless. At first that seemed to have fixed the issue but after 2 weeks(yesterday) I got another switch off, this time when I'd put it into sleep overnight, so definitely not overheating that time.

Today I've left it off most of the day after a switch off after around half an hour of use. My drivers are up to date, I've swept up any dust with compressed air so my main suspects currently are power supply and the motherboard. Although now that I've written down the timeline, I'm questioning whether it's to do with the m.2(not sure if that could break things).

On the power side, none of the peripherals have been affected but I've split the load between 3 power sockets, with the PSU having one socket all to itself, just in case so that leaves me thinking that any power issues must be from the PSU directly.

Looking back, I shouldn't have narrowed it down to overheating so quickly and instead come here sooner. I'd really appreciate any advice on next steps to take as whilst I can get by on my laptop for now I will need to be able to work off my PC again soon.

Thanks in advance :)

Mac247

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
Thanks!

A little update. This morning the PC wasn't switching on at all. I reset the CMOS and it's worked fine all day since(doesn't mean it's fixed though). Does that suggest it's an issue w/ the motherboard? I'll run a check on Speccy later and let you know the results.

Mac247

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
Sounds like it could be the psu actually. A program called speccy can assist you with giving detailed information about your PSU and actually has a function to test your PSU.
Download Speccy | Find your computer specs, free! (ccleaner.com)

I had a look at this but couldn't see the function test, unless you meant the 12,7,5V figures which came out with all being slightly higher, which seems fine to me.

It didn't switch on again this morning after leaving it in sleep overnight so I reset the CMOS again and it didn't work. Pressing the power button didn't do anything, even for half a second. I got a new cr2032 battery this afternoon and that got it starting up but it keeps switching off again about 5 mins after starting up.

I'm going to get in touch with MSI and see what they say. I'll post any worthwhile updates in here and if anyone has any further advice it'd be appreciated.

Thanks again!