PC randomly turned off. Won't turn back on.

liamdollar1

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Hi! Recently my custom built PC randomly turned off while I was browsing YouTube and won't turn back on. Whenever I hit the power button, nothing. I have changed the power wire, the outlet, nothing. This has happened before, I dropped the computer off at micro center and all they did was reset the bios or something and it worked.
Specs:
Intel 6600k
MSI Z170 Gaming m5
MSI gtx 1060 3gb
Corsair 650w power supply

I do lightly over lock my GPU. Should I just reset the bios? If he's, how would I do that. Thanks for any replies!

Solution
Yes you should try to reset the CMOS. You motherboard's manual has all the information, that you'll need for the whole procedure. Usually it involves a certain motherboard jumper. You disconnect the PSU from the way (or turn off the PSU switch), you connect two specific pins on your motherboard with that jumper, wait for 1 minute, return the jumper to its previous position, plug the power cable back to the wall and you are ready to go. If it doesn't work you may have to also remove the CMOS battery from your mobo during the above process and before returning the jumper to its default position.

Finally in similar cases, where a PC just dies and won't turn back on, hardware failure is the most probable cause. Please post the complete...
Yes you should try to reset the CMOS. You motherboard's manual has all the information, that you'll need for the whole procedure. Usually it involves a certain motherboard jumper. You disconnect the PSU from the way (or turn off the PSU switch), you connect two specific pins on your motherboard with that jumper, wait for 1 minute, return the jumper to its previous position, plug the power cable back to the wall and you are ready to go. If it doesn't work you may have to also remove the CMOS battery from your mobo during the above process and before returning the jumper to its default position.

Finally in similar cases, where a PC just dies and won't turn back on, hardware failure is the most probable cause. Please post the complete model number of your PSU as it seems to one of the suspects and we need to know more info about it.

Solution