[SOLVED] Pc randomly turns itself on in the night

Jul 6, 2019
So recently my PC has started to randomly turn itself on in the night and I’m not sure of the cause but when it does do this it’s like my PC wasn’t actually shut down and instead was just put to sleep because last night when I shut down the PC it turned itself on around an hour later and joined the discord channel I was in before I left but I didn’t leave the windows login screen because I had no idea the computer turned itself on until I went back upstairs, how do I fix this from constantly happening?

Solution
With fast startup turned on, the startup log doesn't run, as with fast startup on, the PC is never off. So shutdown/restart logs aren't running and it makes it difficult to identify cause if the only clue you have is a message in taskbar?

Another thing that might help is doing a clean boot. It disables everything from startup except MS programs (Only disables programs, doesn't remove). Its possible that if you have fast startup on, one of your startup programs could be the cause - Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if...

Colif

Win 11 Master
One way to stop it is to turn fast startup off. Then it really will be off when shutdown and its unlikely PC will restart from that state.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

as for remembering where you were last shutdown, thats a new feature and can be useful if you like it... I normally close everything on shutdown and go invisible in discord so people can't tell if I am there or not. I use the discord app and it auto logs in at startup, but I need time to wake :)

Jul 6, 2019
One way to stop it is to turn fast startup off. Then it really will be off when shutdown and its unlikely PC will restart from that state.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

as for remembering where you were last shutdown, thats a new feature and can be useful if you like it... I normally close everything on shutdown and go invisible in discord so people can't tell if I am there or not. I use the discord app and it auto logs in at startup, but I need time to wake :)
Sorry for the late reply I've been busy, is there a way to find what's causing it without changing anything? My PC has only started doing it recently so ideally I don't want to turn off fast startup if possible. When it happens a message comes up in the bottom right task bar whilst I'm on the login screen but I'm never fast enough to see what it says

Colif

Win 11 Master
With fast startup turned on, the startup log doesn't run, as with fast startup on, the PC is never off. So shutdown/restart logs aren't running and it makes it difficult to identify cause if the only clue you have is a message in taskbar?

Another thing that might help is doing a clean boot. It disables everything from startup except MS programs (Only disables programs, doesn't remove). Its possible that if you have fast startup on, one of your startup programs could be the cause - Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Its possible the change is due to a driver update, possibly in a Cumulative Update if you haven't changed anything yourself.

Solution
As Colif has said before, fast startup is rarely, if ever, the cause of an issue, but turning it off can point to the real cause. If you disable fast start up, whether the issue stops or continues, it gives a direction to go in trying to fix the problem and you can decide at that time whether you want to enable fast startup again or not. IOW it's not a fix, but a diagnostic tool.