Nov 4, 2011
Hi

First off, PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (1 year old)
NZXT N7 B550 motherboard (2 weeks old)
AMD 6900XT 16GB card (2 months old)
WD NVME SSD 500GB (1 year old)
Transcend SATA SSD 512GB (1 year old)
Corsair AX860 PSU. (Unknown, received off a friend 3 years ago).

I first discovered that there may be an issue with my system when i turned it off for the night, and then came back to it the next morning, the motherboard's reset and power switch were lit (it has on-board switches for bench testing), and the power button would not turn the PC on.
I tested the PC with an 80 plus gold 650W PSU i had spare which was 1 year old basically brand new, and it worked, so I proceeded to take the PC apart and discovered that the ATX cable plug was not secure, so I reseated it firmly and turned it back on, and it worked. Problem solved i thought!

After a few hours, the PC randomly turned off again completely. This time, it would not respond to the power button, and the only way to start it up was to reset the bios using the Reset Bios switch on the back of the motherboard. After a bios reset, it would turn back on successfully.
After checking the Windows Event Viewer for any errors, I could not find anything untoward, so I kept using it. After about a day, the PC turned off again, this time i noticed the GPU/GPU driver crash first before the entire PC turned off.

Based on age alone, I suspect the PSU is toast, however what concerns me is the need to "reset the bios" to get it work again, leading me to think this could also be a faulty motherboard. The PSU is due for a refresh, so this will be happening soon, but could there potentially be another reason?

Lutfij

Titan
I tested the PC with an 80 plus gold 650W PSU
Make and model of the PSU you used? 650W is the wattage, while 80+ Gold is it's efficiency rating.

Can you verify what your friend tax the PSU with while it was in his hands, i.e, the specs to his system (alongside any overclocks)? As time goes on, your PSU reduces some of it's ability to output power to the entire system. This is further reduced when you stress the PSU buy either subjecting it to harsh temperatures or overclocking the parts in your build, asking more from the PSU. Yes it could be the PSU or that you're suffering a grounding issue. Might want to relocate your system to another wall outlet and see if the issue persists.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? OS version at the time of writing?

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hi I used an Antec EA650G pro to test it.

The last thing he had on this psu was a Phenom 2 1075T stock clocks with an amd radeon RX480.

I could definitely try and see if another power point solves the problem! Thanks for the tip!

I just updated it to version 1.30 from the NZXT site and tested it. I tried a new method of trying to see if its a psu issue by using Prime95 and Furmark at the same time for Max power draw and within 5 minutes it turned off. Though the bios reset issue seemed to be gone with the updated bios.

So aside from trying a different power point I'm fairly certain it's the psu I'd say, but still open to suggestions

Edit: Changed to a different power point but still turned off under stress.. lasted a bit longer

Last edited: