Question PC randomly turns off, have to restart by turning off power supply.

Jun 8, 2020
Hello!

My computer turns off by itself all the time and the only way I can get it back on is by turning off the power supply. A couple months ago I upgraded to an AIO and upgraded my ram from Delta T Force 2x8 3200 mhz ram to Trident Z Royal 4x8 4000 mhz ram. After realizing that my pc wasn't capable of running those sticks at those speeds, I slowed the speeds down and even removed two of the sticks. However its still turning off by itself. It happens sometimes when I'm gaming and pretty much anytime I walk away from the computer while its idling. Its almost like it puts itself to sleep after 60 seconds of inactivity and it cant be woken up, or puts itself to sleep randomly whilst gaming.

6 months ago I also got a brand new 850 watt platinum EVGA psu so that shouldn't be an issue.

So what could be going on? Any programs I can use to troubleshoot this? Literally any help whatsoever would be sick. Thanks!

PC Specs
B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 7 2700x
2x8 4000 mhz ram that's running at 3200 mhz, with two extra sticks not plugged in
Red Devil 5700xt
500gb Samsung 970 nvme
EVGA P2 850 Watt Platinum
Corsair H100i Platinum AIO

Andi_4

Reputable
Aug 27, 2016
Mine does exact same as this. I turn it on and sometimes its fine for days, but then other day i had it on, it turned off after 5 minutes, then turned off again after 10 minutes. No warnings just goes off and Blue light at front flashes like in sleep mode. I just got a new PSU so dont think its that. When it is off and i press power button sometimes it clicks but wont turn back on. Its defo a weird one, just hope its not my mobo. Doesnt overheat or slow in performance at all. Has to be a wiring or short thing. Could be absolutely anything bud from a faulty usb socket or cable in your pc, you will have to test stuff with multimeter like i will lol.

Jun 8, 2020
Mine does exact same as this. I turn it on and sometimes its fine for days, but then other day i had it on, it turned off after 5 minutes, then turned off again after 10 minutes. No warnings just goes off and Blue light at front flashes like in sleep mode. I just got a new PSU so dont think its that. When it is off and i press power button sometimes it clicks but wont turn back on. Its defo a weird one, just hope its not my mobo. Doesnt overheat or slow in performance at all. Has to be a wiring or short thing. Could be absolutely anything bud from a faulty usb socket or cable in your pc, you will have to test stuff with multimeter like i will lol.
I actually reset my CMOS and it fixed everything. I tried overclocking The four sticks like 20 times and apparently that messed it up. Try to reset the CMOs and see if that works for you!

Andi_4

Reputable
Aug 27, 2016
I actually reset my CMOS and it fixed everything. I tried overclocking The four sticks like 20 times and apparently that messed it up. Try to reset the CMOs and see if that works for you!

I have since figured mione out since i posted on here a few days ago. Mine is a faulty pc kettle lead. Only realised when i was putting it in today and i heard a short. Its probably damaged inside somewhere so il grab another lead....PHEW lol

Dec 19, 2019
I have since figured mione out since i posted on here a few days ago. Mine is a faulty pc kettle lead. Only realised when i was putting it in today and i heard a short. Its probably damaged inside somewhere so il grab another lead....PHEW lol
Your pc is working fine now ? Cuz i am having ramdom shut downs and sometimes pc would work fine for days