PC randomly turns off new HDD

36Maris

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hey, so my problem is i just got new 1TB HDD which is sata 6gb/s and my pc's motherboard is made only for sata 3gb version. So okay, that's not the problem, problem is when i boot up i can see new HDD is recognised by motherboard and everything and as soon as 1-2mins passes pc just randomly turns off dosen't matter if i am trying too boot up OS setup with my USB HDD or i'm just going trough bios setup. It just shuts down after few mins. Max maybe is 3mins. And the one funny thing is when i putted back old 500gb HDD it worked again just fine. So what could problem be?

Any help appreciated
- Thanks in advance.

Solution

Yeah i was about to do that but then i tried to not boot os setup trough usb but trough oem win7 disc and it didn't shut down :D thats so strange.USB has win10 setup in it. BTW sorry for not responding for this long didn't had time :/
EDIT: I tried...

36Maris

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

This is 6year old build ,it's nothing special,i just decided to upgrade my pc so i could play maybe few newer games. So one of the things i wanted to do was upgrading old hdd because it is slow and defrag couldn't help. Boot times can take up to 4mins so in the end i decided not to wipe data but buy new HDD, then this happend. Btw nice thinking this actually could be the thing gonna check tomorrow as first thing on the morning if that is the case.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L rev 2.3

Hi there 36Maris,

It may be a good idea to start with just updating your MOBO's drivers.

Are you trying to boot from the new drive, or it is attached as a secondary one?

One thing you can do is to attach it with different power and SATA cables, to another port. It would be nice to even try it on another system. Attach it as a secondary drive and try to test it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Let us know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

36Maris

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Yeah i was about to do that but then i tried to not boot os setup trough usb but trough oem win7 disc and it didn't shut down :D thats so strange.USB has win10 setup in it. BTW sorry for not responding for this long didn't had time :/
EDIT: I tried to boot up usb and hdd on other pc and it worked. So HDD is not the problem or the usb. So what could be bad on my pc?

Update: So i fixed the problem when i reseted CMOS / BIOS thing to default settings when i touched 2 pins on motherboard with screwdriver. Now it actually booted up and didn't shutdown. So still thanks everyone for your help. Everything is working now.

Solution