[SOLVED] PC Randomly Turns Off (No BSOD) Then Restarts

Aug 14, 2021
Hi there

I have a gaming PC that’s about a year and a half old.

I have been experiencing a few tech issues with it and have tried to defeat them, with success.

that was until a tech issue that has been pretty impossible to defeat and has been going on for about a few months now.

basically, the PC shuts down with no BSOD and then restarts itself. This can be when a game is running, when nothing is running, after a minute, 5, 10, heck even 45 minutes.

there have been instances where the computer, when turned on, can go for as long as I want it. But this is now more rare than ever.

I noticed that sometimes when I get passed the password bit of logging into the pc that the sound you get when you disconnect a usb driver plays sometimes.

the PC itself is fully updated, sfc and chkdsk done, fresh windows reinstall, I’ve replaced the GPU, Bios updated. I’ve uninstalled antivirus which was the source of a previous annoying error which caused my pc to freeze forcing a hard reset.

I noticed a warning label in the device manager under ASmedia usb root hub (putting itself in ‘other devices’). Not sure If that’s related.

my PSU is a 1600w beast but I don’t know If it’s a hardware issue on that bit.

as I said there’s no BSOD so there’s no dump file. Only error code I can find that’s consistent is the cloud files diagnostic event listener failing to start (0xC0000022) on the event viewer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been doing my head in for months and it’s slowly racking up costs for trial and error. I’ve lost a shift key too in anger so that’s a thing.

Cheers
T

Solution
Hi there

I have been experiencing a few tech issues with it and have tried to defeat them, with success.

that was until a tech issue that has been pretty impossible to defeat and has been going on for about a few months now.

basically, the PC shuts down with no BSOD and then restarts itself. This can be when a game is running, when nothing is running, after a minute, 5, 10, heck even 45 minutes.

there have been instances where the computer, when turned on, can go for as long as I want it. But this is now more rare than ever.

I noticed that sometimes when I get passed the password bit of logging into the pc that the sound you get when you disconnect a usb driver plays...
Hi there

I noticed that sometimes when I get passed the password bit of logging into the pc that the sound you get when you disconnect a usb driver plays sometimes.

the PC itself is fully updated, sfc and chkdsk done, fresh windows reinstall, I’ve replaced the GPU, Bios updated. I’ve uninstalled antivirus which was the source of a previous annoying error which caused my pc to freeze forcing a hard reset.

I noticed a warning label in the device manager under ASmedia usb root hub (putting itself in ‘other devices’). Not sure If that’s related.

my PSU is a 1600w beast but I don’t know If it’s a hardware issue on that bit.

as I said there’s no BSOD so there’s no dump file. Only error code I can find that’s consistent is the cloud files diagnostic event listener failing to start (0xC0000022) on the event viewer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been doing my head in for months and it’s slowly racking up costs for trial and error. I’ve lost a shift key too in anger so that’s a thing.

Cheers
T
Random restarts without a bluescreen or error are most likely power issues. I had the same problem with a faulty PSU. I also had the same problem with a PCI-e riser cable that couldn't get enough power for the GPU.

Solution

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Random restarts without a bluescreen or error are most likely power issues. I had the same problem with a faulty PSU. I also had the same problem with a PCI-e riser cable that couldn't get enough power for the GPU.
Im facing the same problem.
I bought a new PSU because my current PSU is kinda old, 650w gold EVGA G2 from like 2015 or 2016.

I can play games like normal, no FPS drops or anything and out of nowhere like once a week I get a black screen and then a reboot. I get the power kernel 41 error, but out of 4 reboots so far, once I got a dxgmms2.sys and watchdog.sys .

Used a program called BlueScreenView because a DUMP was actually created for the first time (even though I have never seen a BSOD from this problem)
Caused By Driver
watchdog.sys .

What I just before I get my new PSU.
Used DDU and installed GPU drivers.
Did the scan command for corrupted files (It had corrupted files but the reboot still ocurred)
Tested CPU in cinebench, all good.
Tested GPU in Heaven Benchmark 8-10 times and no reboot
Just minutes from writing this, I reseted CMOS, updated BIOS (had a version from 2017), put XMP 3200 Mhz, CPU to 4.4 Ghz as I've always had it.
Hopefully this fixes it or I'll need to try the new PSU when I receive it.