Question PC randomly turns off

Jan 2, 2022
Hi All!

My system config is:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917)
Ram: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz DDR3
SSD/HDD: 1 x 250GB Samsung Evo Plush SSD ; 1 x 1TB Western Digital HDD
GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti 6GB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x 1KW PSU (Gold)
Chassis: Corsair 780T Full tower
Monitor: Samsung 24" gaming monitor

Overclocking : No

Problem :

I built this system in 2016, and have had 5 years of trouble free operation. I play games and do some python, and none of the games are super intensive (World of Warcraft, AOE 3 : DE, AOE2 : DE, etc.). In August of 2021, my PC randomly shut off and the boot looped, posting the "00" POST code. After a lot of googling, i power cycled it, changed the CMOS battery and then switched the RAM slots around, and it worked fine till November, when the same issue repeated itself. I played around with the RAM again, and the problem went away for 1-2 weeks and has since been occurring at increased frequencies (twice a week or so). I have done the following in the last 2-3 days , with no luck:

1. Re seating all power cables after dusting the sockets
  2. Switching RAM slots around multiple times
  3. Disconnecting the JFP1 power switch from the case and shorting the power pins to start the PC
  4. I have run a Memtest86, which showed the following result: View: https://imgur.com/a/OeXghh4
3WNzqR9.jpg

This leads me to believe it is a RAM issue, but can some of the experienced folks here comment on whether this could also be a CPU or motherboard issue masquerading as a RAM issue?

Also, I need to update my BIOS as well, but im terrified of doing it while the system is unstable.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? You might want to see if you can source a donor kit of ram and if the issues persists. I'd be looking at either the BIOS being corrupt, the PSU being the issue or your rams being on their way out.

Hi All!

My system config is:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917)
Ram: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz DDR3
SSD/HDD: 1 x 250GB Samsung Evo Plush SSD ; 1 x 1TB Western Digital HDD
GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti 6GB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x 1KW PSU (Gold)
Chassis: Corsair 780T Full tower
Monitor: Samsung 24" gaming monitor

Overclocking : No

Problem :

I built this system in 2016, and have had 5 years of trouble free operation. I play games and do some python, and none of the games are super intensive (World of Warcraft, AOE 3 : DE, AOE2 : DE, etc.). In August of 2021, my PC randomly shut off and the boot looped, posting the "00" POST code. After a lot of googling, i power cycled it, changed the CMOS battery and then switched the RAM slots around, and it worked fine till November, when the same issue repeated itself. I played around with the RAM again, and the problem went away for 1-2 weeks and has since been occurring at increased frequencies (twice a week or so). I have done the following in the last 2-3 days , with no luck:

1. Re seating all power cables after dusting the sockets
  2. Switching RAM slots around multiple times
  3. Disconnecting the JFP1 power switch from the case and shorting the power pins to start the PC
  4. I have run a Memtest86, which showed the following result: View: https://imgur.com/a/OeXghh4
3WNzqR9.jpg

This leads me to believe it is a RAM issue, but can some of the experienced folks here comment on whether this could also be a CPU or motherboard issue masquerading as a RAM issue?

Also, I need to update my BIOS as well, but im terrified of doing it while the system is unstable.
Turn off xmp and rerun the ram test see if it makes a diff.
Make sure you have the ram in the proper slots.