[SOLVED] PC Randomly wakes from sleep around 8-930PM

Tekguy0

Reputable
For the past few days, my Windows 10 PC has been waking from sleep/standby at approximately 8:00-9:30 PM. It happens multiple times, even when I tell it to go back to sleep. It provides no display signal at first, but then after telling my monitor to search inputs again, it shows the lock/password screen. HDD usage is high when it wakes it self up, and the ethernet indicator light blinks to indicate activity as well. Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Solution
Windows may postpone updates but other apps may not.

I found the following link:

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/133361-pc-waking-up-itself-sleep.html

You can easily find other, similar links via searching "Universal Orchestrator Start".

Do some additional research (googling) and match what you read to your system configurations.

The key is to not do anything until you have established some confidence in the source/reason for the problem and a probable fix.

Keep notes and change only one thing at a time.

And, as you always should be doing, be sure that you have backups that are recoverable and verified readable.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer,

Very likely that some error code, warning, or informational event is being logged at "wake up".

Check Task Manager and Task Scheduler. Could be some app attempting to backup, phone home, or update.

Tekguy0

Reputable
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer,

Very likely that some error code, warning, or informational event is being logged at "wake up".

Check Task Manager and Task Scheduler. Could be some app attempting to backup, phone home, or update.

Event viewer showed it made a few failed connections to some servers, then downloaded and installed updates. This is happening even when I told windows to postpone updates, and these were non-essential, mostly generic HP printer drivers and Zune software, for some reason.
The event of the system waking is: "Wake Source: Timer - Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer."
Yet this does not show up in task scheduler.

Ralston18

Titan
Windows may postpone updates but other apps may not.

I found the following link:

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/133361-pc-waking-up-itself-sleep.html

You can easily find other, similar links via searching "Universal Orchestrator Start".

Do some additional research (googling) and match what you read to your system configurations.

The key is to not do anything until you have established some confidence in the source/reason for the problem and a probable fix.

Keep notes and change only one thing at a time.

And, as you always should be doing, be sure that you have backups that are recoverable and verified readable.

Reactions: Tekguy0
Solution