[SOLVED] PC randomly won't start

Nov 8, 2020
Hi, I have this problem since maybe a year, but it recently became more frequent, so I hope to find help here.

I built my PC based on a Ryzen 5 3600 and a MS-7B86 motherboard, 2x8Gb of RAM. Just a basic setup, no overclocking, Windows 10 Pro 64. It worked very well at the beginning, but then it started randomly not booting. I press the power button and hear the fans spinning, but the screen remains dark and there is no lights in either the keyboard or the mouse. After I hard reset it will just start normally (no messages about Windows having closed abnormally). All of which makes me think that the CPU does not start on those other occasions at all. More recently I started to need to do multiple resets before it finally starts, but then I can go for a week or a month with no issues at all, and after that I can have this issue every day - very random.

I should also mention that, when I was desperate to have the PC running again, I sometimes would remove one of the RAM sticks and that provoked, after pressing the power button, the opening of the BIOS dialogue and then the normal booting into Windows. Obviously, I would like to avoid having to do that every time I need to start my PC. And I see on my motherboard a small red light signaling a problem with RAM. I initially suspected a problem with one of the RAM sticks. But removing one RAM stick, then the other, changing their placement etc. does not change anything in the long run.

I clean it inside regularly, there is not much dust inside.

Any ideas what it could be, what is causing this? Am I right to suspect it is the CPU (and is there a way to test that), or could it be RAM after all or something else completely? And most importantly, how to solve this issue?
Thanks a lot!

Solution
What might have changed since all was well?
I doubt it is the processor.
If your psu is a cheap unit, that would be my prime suspect.
I would suspect something software related.
Perhaps windows pushed out a faulty update.
Can you use system restore to reset the pc back to a time when all was well?

A simple functionality test is to
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
What might have changed since all was well?
I doubt it is the processor.
If your psu is a cheap unit, that would be my prime suspect.
I would suspect something software related.
Perhaps windows pushed out a faulty update.
Can you use system restore to reset the pc back to a time when all was well?

A simple functionality test is to
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS