Question PC reboots while playing, followed by VGA error. What is happening?

Mar 4, 2021
Build:
Gigabyte Auros X570 Ultra
ASrock challenger pro 6800
Ryzen 7 5800x
Western Digital SN850 1 TB
Force MP510 M.2 NVMe SSD
2x16GB G.skill Trident Neo Z
Corsair 850w Platinum (RX?)

So i built a new PC in late January and it has worked fine except now two times the following happened:

I am playing a game (the first time i also just clicked stream stream on discord) and suddenly the screen goes black. The PC restarts and VGA error led is now lit and the monitor stays black (off).

I've tried changing Displayport cable, tried different ports on both monitor and GPU. Unplugged GPU, cables, checked PSU cables, GPU cables and reattached again. Still same. The only thing that fixed it was Q-flashing and reinstalling bios again. This has now happened twice and i am wondering if there is something i can do to conclude what the error is.

Ive been contemplating between it being a mobo error, or that the bios is still a bit unstable for the 5000-series. Or is the M.2 SSD the issue (seeing as both crashes happened while playing game from the same drive). Is the GPU the issue?

If anyone can help me solve this mystery i would be very thankful.

I've updated the BIOS to the newest version today so im crossing my fingers for this to be a fix.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The Corsair PSU's that are platinum rated and at that wattage are shown to be in the HX and HXi series. Which one do you have? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? After the PC was built, did you manually install all drivers meant for your platform, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after sourcing drivers from both Asrock's motherboard support site and AMD's support site(for the GPU)?

How are you cooling the processor? Make and model of your case and the temps for the CPU and GPU when the issue crops up? You can use HWMonitor to monitor your temps.

Mar 4, 2021
Hi @Lutfij and thanks for replying!
I have the HX version of the PSU.

My current BIOS version is F33c

I installed all drivers manually yes, but i do not think i ran them all as admin. FWIW i did download the drivers from AMD and Gigabyte respectively and not ASrock.

I am cooling the processor with Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT.
Case is fractal design compact 7.
I am using HWiNFO64 and my temps are fine. Peaking at around 80 for CPU and around mid 70s under load.
The GPU is around 5-10celsius less than that. All other temperatures don't exceed those of GPU and CPU.

EDIT:
Today while playing WoW and watchin Youtube picture in picture the monitor blacked out, and i needed to restart it but fortunately it worked then without the need for yet another BIOS flash.
GPU issue?
EDIT2: I have checked that i can now reproduce this error with playing and watching youtube at the same time. I will try to run with 1 RAM stick and see if its any different.

Last edited: