[SOLVED] PC rebooting itself a few times before it finally turns on properly ?

Sep 10, 2018
Hi everyone.

The past 7 days I have been facing many issues with my PC. When I was gaming one day (exactly a week ago) I got BSOD with the reason ''IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL''. I thought it ''just happened'' since it was the first BSOD I faced after like a year of literally zero issues.

However the problems kept persisting, I have been facing BSOD pretty often since then with reasons like KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL etc. Mainly those two however. I suspected the problem being my RAM (G.Skill RipJaws 2x8 clocked at 3000mhz, OCed via XMP) so I disabled XMP profile and set speeds to default (2133). Then as far as I remember I stopped facing BSOD/PC failing to reboot properly but pc was slower than it was.

Yesterday I decided to test it again and I increase RAM speed again via XMP profile this time at 2666mhz. No blue screens so far but today (just 2 hours ago) I turned my PC on and it failed to boot properly 3-4 times until it finally managed to with no issues since then. It's like it struggles when booting and then is fine. It doesn't even get to the BIOs screen sometimes.

What could be the issue? I checked Event Viewer and there are plenty of errors but I don't really know how to read them. Could someone help me out with this? I will post a picture below. Also if you have any other suggestions let me know please. Those issues started happening literally out of a sudden and I don't remember doing anything that could trigger it.

Specs: Ryzen 2600 (not OCed), GTX 1050, B450 Pro4, windows on my SSD. GPU and CPU temps are all fine by the way, I have been monitoring them for a while.

(At 11:09:18 is when I turned my PC on for the first time today)

gQqfVv8.png

Last edited:
Solution
Thing is after lowering the frequency I don't get BSOD anymore but PC is 'laggy'. Sometimes clicking something might take more time than usual for example, or when gaming it is very slow at times. I have a warranty for those sticks so I can get a replacement for free but are we sure its the RAM and not the CPU, Hard drive, PSU or god knows what? That's what I dislike about BSODs. They are so generic and some of them literally include everything.

If you can RMA the ram I would do so... if that doesn't fix the issue then the other likely culprit is the motherboard (which could also impact ram stability). This problem doesn't sound PSU related - typically a bad PSU would drop out under heavy load (e.g. a game). With regard to a...
Hi everyone.

The past 7 days I have been facing many issues with my PC. When I was gaming one day (exactly a week ago) I got BSOD with the reason ''IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL''. I thought it ''just happened'' since it was the first BSOD I faced after like a year of literally zero issues.

However the problems kept persisting, I have been facing BSOD pretty often since then with reasons like KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL etc. Mainly those two however. I suspected the problem being my RAM (G.Skill RipJaws 2x8 clocked at 3000mhz, OCed via XMP) so I disabled XMP profile and set speeds to default (2133). Then as far as I remember I stopped facing BSOD/PC failing to reboot properly but pc was slower than it was.

Yesterday I decided to test it again and I increase RAM speed again via XMP profile this time at 2666mhz. No blue screens so far but today (just 2 hours ago) I turned my PC on and it failed to boot properly 3-4 times until it finally managed to with no issues since then. It's like it struggles when booting and then is fine. It doesn't even get to the BIOs screen sometimes.

What could be the issue? I checked Event Viewer and there are plenty of errors but I don't really know how to read them. Could someone help me out with this? I will post a picture below. Also if you have any other suggestions let me know please. Those issues started happening literally out of a sudden and I don't remember doing anything that could trigger it.

Specs: Ryzen 2600 (not OCed), GTX 1050, B450 Pro4, windows on my SSD. GPU and CPU temps are all fine by the way, I have been monitoring them for a while.

(At 11:09:18 is when I turned my PC on for the first time today)

gQqfVv8.png

As lowering the ram frequency helped improve the situation I think you probably have a faulty ram module.

A quick way to test this is remove one stick, reboot and see if things are working (ideally load up to the full XMP speed). If it fails again, switch to the other stick and try again - it's possible on of the ram modules is dodgy. If it works fine with one you probably need to look at replacing with a new kit.

Sep 10, 2018
As lowering the ram frequency helped improve the situation I think you probably have a faulty ram module.

A quick way to test this is remove one stick, reboot and see if things are working (ideally load up to the full XMP speed). If it fails again, switch to the other stick and try again - it's possible on of the ram modules is dodgy. If it works fine with one you probably need to look at replacing with a new kit.

Thing is after lowering the frequency I don't get BSOD anymore but PC is 'laggy'. Sometimes clicking something might take more time than usual for example, or when gaming it is very slow at times. I have a warranty for those sticks so I can get a replacement for free but are we sure its the RAM and not the CPU, Hard drive, PSU or god knows what? That's what I dislike about BSODs. They are so generic and some of them literally include everything.

If you can RMA the ram I would do so... if that doesn't fix the issue then the other likely culprit is the motherboard (which could also impact ram stability). This problem doesn't sound PSU related - typically a bad PSU would drop out under heavy load (e.g. a game). With regard to a faulty cpu, that also sounds unlikely based on my experience, CPU's are usually fairly robust and only tend to fail if physically damaged (i.e. broken pins) or heavily overclocked for a long period (especially with an increase to voltage). Just to check, are you running your 2600 at stock or overclocked?

Solution