[SOLVED] PC Rebooting Multiple Times a Night

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UltiBat

Commendable
Dec 9, 2020
I have been having an issue where my PC will reboot unexpectedly sometimes multiple times a night. I don't know if it matters, but Event Viewer flags them as unexpected shutdowns. I have already checked Windows Update. I have a reset button, so I tried that, but the shutdown was not flagged as unexpected. Do any of you have any solutions?

I don't think it's thermal related. I have a laptop that doesn't like to game that will shut off if it gets too hot. If a thermal shutdown occurs, it's flagged as a 41, but in the logs before it, you can see it log that the temp was too high. And also the fact that it's only 70C.
An Event ID 41 in the Event Viewer means that the system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. It isn't just related to shutdowns when overheating caused it.
The reboot with ID 41 could be caused by overheating or just by holding the power button until the system powers off.

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
So it was good for a few days, then last night it was sitting idle while I was in the other room and all of a sudden it restarted again. I can hear my pumps and liquid settle and flow again when it happens, so I heard it and looked and it was rebooting. Being frustrated, I am pulling everything apart right now. Just noticed the connectors in one of my 12v mobo cables are stretched out like they were plugged in over a pin that was too large. I also am going to remove my power strip as it is quite old and see if these two things are the culprit. Tried to post a photo of the cable but can't get it attached.

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
Same here. I picked up a new PSU and some lower clock RAM on Christmas sale. I'm dropping the new PSU in and getting an RMA on my current one. Hoping that clears it up, replaced everything else in my system now already. I have until January 31 for rma on my motherboard, so if need be I'll swap that too.

UltiBat

Commendable
Dec 9, 2020
So I ran Memtest and got through about 2 and a half passes with no errors. My next checks are my PSU (as I haven't dusted in a while, sorry to my PC) and my EPS plug. I was watching a video where the EPS plug looked sketchy and so I checked mine, and it didn't look the best. Will post updates as soon as I can.

UltiBat

Commendable
Dec 9, 2020
Dang! My 1300w was an EVGA G2 which was great for its time. I have been having issues with random power losses to my system which is why I want to move on to a new PSU as I have checked all my hardware and have not found any issues. Hoping that the PSU is the culprit and a new one will stop the issues from persisting. Sad to see that the EVGA PSU's aren't as good any more..
I think we have found the problem. I am using a EVGA Supernova 650 GA with mine. How has the new PSU been performing for you?

Edit: I ordered the be quiet! PSU from the link in your thread about wattage.

Last edited:

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
I think we have found the problem. I am using a EVGA Supernova 650 GA with mine. How has the new PSU been performing for you?

Edit: I ordered the be quiet! PSU from the link in your thread about wattage.

I have not replaced the PSU yet. I re-seated all of my cables and removed everything that I did not truly need, problem SSD and DVD drive making terrible sounds. I guess I am sort of waiting to see if/when it happens again, it hasn't happened in a couple weeks now. My cables could be my issue as well since they are about 6 years old. At this point I basically just have all the spare parts I need in case I need to move forward with replacing anything, but I will replace the PSU soon. I had RMA'd my PSU once already, only for a squeaking fan and EVGA was fantastic about it. Let me know if that new PSU seems to clean up your issues.

UltiBat

Commendable
Dec 9, 2020
Will do. It comes in on Thursday and I'll prob install it then too. Also, I switched the ECO feature off, just to see what would happen. Good luck with your issues as well.

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
I was good for about 3 weeks, and then it just started rebooting again. I have heard that a RAM coupling mode may or may not affect it, but it seems it shouldn't need to be this complicated. I have also heard that these issues can be causes by a faulty CPU. I am going to change everything out again and see if it makes a difference. If I continue to have issues I am going to RMA the motherboard and the cpu as well. Took a chance with ASRock after reading a lot of mixed reviews, so far I'm questioning ASRock motherboards. Will let you know if it gets better with new RAM, CPU, and PSU. If still happening, the only thing left is the motherboard.

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
I installed my PSU on Thursday, and have had no unexpected restarts since then. It should resolve your issue, good luck!

Is all still working well with the new PSU? Mine seems to be running smooth since I dropped in the new PSU a week ago. And EVGA has approved my RMA on my old PSU so I will test that in my second build once I get the new one back. I do have to say, EVGA has always taken excellent care of me as far as customer support and products are concerned.

UltiBat

Commendable
Dec 9, 2020
Yup! Still working well. Haven't had an unexpected shutdown once. I am currently working on getting mine RMA'd as well, just have to find the motivation to do it lmao.

UltiBat

Commendable
Dec 9, 2020
One thing I have noticed across different companies and their RMAs is the difference in customer support. I have requested RMAs from AMD, MSI, and now EVGA. AMD paid for my shipping and sent me a CPU like it was off the shelf, cooler and all. MSI sent me a refurbished one without accessories, and it sounds like EVGA will do the same.

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
One thing I have noticed across different companies and their RMAs is the difference in customer support. I have requested RMAs from AMD, MSI, and now EVGA. AMD paid for my shipping and sent me a CPU like it was off the shelf, cooler and all. MSI sent me a refurbished one without accessories, and it sounds like EVGA will do the same.

I RMA'd my original EVGA 1300 G2 due to the fan squealing. EVGA at that time offered a cross ship RMA, where they sent me out the new PSU while putting a deposit hold on my credit card. As soon as I received the new unit, and shipped the RMA unit back to them, they released the deposit hold. They did not offer that to me this time around. I had to pay about 40 bucks for shipping. They received my RMA unit today and it is showing they will send the replacement by 2/4/21. It is actually the only time I have had to deal with an RMA, but I figured 40 bucks was worth it for a 170 dollar PSU. EVGA just swaps out the unit itself with no cables, as you mentioned.

I have since installed a Corsair RM850X in my build and it seems to be good. I have not had an event code 41 since then. I also picked up a SuperFlower Leadex III HG 850 for my new build and it seems to be of great quality. Have always heard about SuperFlower caps being the top of the line, so I'll see how they do since I think they just started building their own PSUs in the last couple years. I'll probably throw the G2 1300 in my daughters PC and put my dusty old GTX 780's in there since they outperform the GTX 1050 she has now. Now I just need to game as much as possible while I can before my baby comes in July!! Hahaha! I'll post back here again if I happen to get any more 41 codes. Have fun!

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
PSU was not my issue as I had another event 41 today. Only piece left is the MOBO, hoping ASRock will take care of it, but I have not heard the best things about their CS. Wish me luck!

TRENDING THREADS