Question PC rebooting once a day

Aug 9, 2022
So my issue is not exactly that the PC reboots, it's more like the video goes blank and then it reboots.

I've had this issue for a long while and I've tried many things (which I'll try to list below) to fix it with little success.
For some time the issue seemed to have gone away and only came back a few months back.

This only happens when my PC is stressed, and more specifically, the GPU.
I've stress tested my GPU with OCCT and it always crashed at least (most of the time) once a day, after which, it runs fine.
Temperatures at the moment of crash inconsistent.
I have an MSI GeForce RTX 2060.

I've tried things like:
Changing my bios setting
Re-installing the GPU into the socket
Updating drivers
Removing (possibly conflicting) drivers for other things
Cleaning the whole PC (no new thermal paste, GPU dissection scary)
Doing all the usual command line scans
Updating Windows 10
Changing power settings
Updating bios

I've always suspected that the audio drivers for the GPU and the audio drivers for other things were interacting badly and that's why it's doing all this.
I've read on some forum that it's likely a driver issue causing this, though since nothing seemed to fix the issue, I don't think that's the case here.

More information:
Event Viewer shows Kernel-Power 41 error
Running Windows 10 home
CPU Intel Core i5-9400F with turbo boost enabled
RAM 2x 8GB DDR4 @ I don't rememberhz
Using 3 monitors two of which have audio outputs
PSU Cube II 600W
Motherboard MAG B365M MORTAR
The PC is a prebuilt 3 yr. old

Ralston18

Titan
Is the PSU also 3 years old? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the video going bland and the subsequent reboot.

Start with Reliability History. Much easier to use and understand.

Look for error codes and patterns.

Aug 9, 2022
Is the PSU also 3 years old? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the video going bland and the subsequent reboot.

Start with Reliability History. Much easier to use and understand.

Look for error codes and patterns.
Everything in the PC is 3 years old except for a second SSD I added which is much older.
I heavily game, yes. No hardcore video editing or mining though.

Reliability history showing mostly "windows was not properly shutdown" critical errors with no error code.
However, event-viewer always says the same thing:
Event ID: 41
Source: Kernel-Power
Log: System

So my issue is not exactly that the PC reboots, it's more like the video goes blank and then it reboots.

I've had this issue for a long while and I've tried many things (which I'll try to list below) to fix it with little success.
For some time the issue seemed to have gone away and only came back a few months back.

This only happens when my PC is stressed, and more specifically, the GPU.
I've stress tested my GPU with OCCT and it always crashed at least (most of the time) once a day, after which, it runs fine.
Temperatures at the moment of crash inconsistent.
I have an MSI GeForce RTX 2060.

I've tried things like:
Changing my bios setting
Re-installing the GPU into the socket
Updating drivers
Removing (possibly conflicting) drivers for other things
Cleaning the whole PC (no new thermal paste, GPU dissection scary)
Doing all the usual command line scans
Updating Windows 10
Changing power settings
Updating bios

I've always suspected that the audio drivers for the GPU and the audio drivers for other things were interacting badly and that's why it's doing all this.
I've read on some forum that it's likely a driver issue causing this, though since nothing seemed to fix the issue, I don't think that's the case here.

More information:
Event Viewer shows Kernel-Power 41 error
Running Windows 10 home
CPU Intel Core i5-9400F with turbo boost enabled
RAM 2x 8GB DDR4 @ I don't rememberhz
Using 3 monitors two of which have audio outputs
PSU Cube II 600W
Motherboard MAG B365M MORTAR
The PC is a prebuilt 3 yr. old
Take the side panel off the case see if it makes a diff.

TRENDING THREADS