Question PC rebooting randomly, even after changing PSU, MOBO, & reinstalling Windows & drivers ?

Jan 1, 2022
Pc has been force rebooting itself randomly since I first built it 6 months ago. CPU and GPU temps are in the 40s. I uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers, reinstalled windows, changed the PSU from a 650w to a 850w gold, even changed the motherboard. Tested the RAM mon memtest86. Disabled automatic restart in the advanced system settings. It will go days, sometimes weeks without a problem, then all of a sudden two restarts in a row. Today after replacing the motherboard, the pc stayed on and my screen went black for the first time ever, also restarted not even 10 minutes after installing and booting up with the new board. Considering breaking the parts down and starting fresh. Please help me I feel like I've done everything...

Also to mention, when the pc would restart with the old MOBO, it would behave as if the power was turned off abruptly, then turned back on with no "shutting down" screen. With the new MOBO, it will give me the windows, "shutting down" screen and before forcing itself down.
Geforce rtx 3070
ryzen 7 3700x
MSI MAG B550 tomahawk/ asrock b550
rm850x gold Corsair PSU/ mwe gold 650 Coolermaster cpu

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you state the model for your Corsair PSU? What OS are you working with and what version are you on if you're on Windows 10? BIOS version for your motherboard? Which slots are you populating with your ram?

Dreadmyst

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
I would say it could be a bad ram stick but you already ran memtest so that's unlikely. My next guess is that it could be a problem with the CPU or GPU? It might be worth it to do a stress test on the CPU and GPU and see if you can replicate the reboot? CPU-Z has a CPU benchmark test and you can download a GPU benchmark from Unigine to test the GPU.

Dreadmyst

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
If your still having this issue I recently learned of a new tool that might be able to help pinpoint the issue. It's called OCCT and it lets you stress test different aspects of your pc. Have you looked at the event viewer to see if there are any critical errors? try installing Blue Screen View to see if it's creating a crash dump file? It is possible that the CPU is faulty. We would need a little more details in order to help you troubleshoot this :)