Question PC rebooting randomly

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hi

I am having issues with my PC where it randomly reboots quite frequently when I play a game(WOW, tomb raider). The issue started when I updated to latest Nvidia driver (may or may not be related) and since I have rolled back and forth to older versions (clean installations) and issue has persisted. Occasionally I can play a few hours but 95% of the time it reboots within minutes of opening a game. I played dishonored 2 for a few hours with no issue (will test this again).

I have tested memory - no issues
I have stress tested CPU : intel utility and it passed but temps were a bit high and thermal throttling comes on pretty quick)
I have run furmark and unigine graphics stress tests and it passes fine with highest temp being 81 when running furmark for over an hour. it has rebooted a once or twice when starting furmark but does run it fine on 2nd attempt. There are no issues just browsing and running PC.

In event viewer I get Kernel-power event id 41 (63). There are no mini dumps produced despite being turned on.

most of my kit is newish apart from mainboard/memory

Motherboard: Asus maximus v formula
CPU : Intel i7 3770K (stock cooler/fan)
RAM: hyperx 4 dimms (16GB)
PSU: EVGA 850 G3 (purchased last year)
GPU: Asus RTX 2080 OC 8Gb (purchased a few months back) - A couple of fins are broken on one of the fans but it has been running fine even so.

I noticed yesterday at reboot time my CPU temps were running in high 80's and 90's. Ambient temps have been high last couple of days between 23-25 C avg.

I am lost for ideas as to what is up. Any help advice would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Usually a reboot when the system is taxed is a sign that the PSU is failing or on it's way out, provided you're not experiencing heating issues on the GPU.

Might want to pass on the age of the PSU. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, if you're not already.

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Thanks. I think it may be hard to prove that my PSU is faulty :( but i am gona check on warranty. Another thing I failed to mention is that in Win 7 (x64) control panel-Performance info and tools. There is a message that new hardware is detected and I should refresh Windows Experience Index. I assume it refers to new GPU however every time I have refreshed the PC has rebooted without fail after about a min into the process.