Question Pc rebooting randomly

swagsticious

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 28, 2014
Hi there!
I've just put together a build (ryzen 3700x,asus 2070 super, msi x570 pro carbon wifi, samsung pm981 512GB) and it's stressing me out reaaaaaally hard.
It won't allow me to update my graphics driver because 'it isn' t compatible with thr current version of Windows' (managed to update to 1607). Now I'm trying and waiting for it to update to 1809 but it tends to randomly reboot in the 'preparing to install updatey XY%' update status. I'm booting of the ssd, thermals are normal, etc. In bios I've enabled PBO and set the Ram speeds to 3600MHz (native).
It's taking ages to prepare windows to update and it reseting in the middle of it isn't making it better.
It hurts my eyes since I have to look at a 1024x840p resolution on a 1440p monitor.
If anyone has any idea what the problem might be 😔

USAFRet

Titan
It won't allow me to update my graphics driver because 'it isn' t compatible with thr current version of Windows' (managed to update to 1607). Now I'm trying and waiting for it to update to 1809 but
Start over, with a new Win 10 USB. Yours appears to be ancient.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

swagsticious

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 28, 2014
Start over, with a new Win 10 USB. Yours appears to be ancient.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Quick update:
It just decided to not bother me anymore and it finally started working. Thanks for any advice you've posted and I hope that it'll help any other soul that has to go through this. 😁

swagsticious

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 28, 2014
I'd still redo it with a freshly made USB, with the current Win 10 version.
You're going to have to go through 3+ years of updates.

EDIT: fixed it, I guess (thankfully). The solution for me was to load optimal defaults in BIOS (so goddamn easy). Thanks for your help anyway :D

So.. It has happened again, it restarted out of nowhere. I will try to do a fresh install as you recommended with the newest version.
Still I'd like to ask if you could think of anything else that might be causing the problem? I've checked all the cables, the RAM is properly in place as is the GPU. I'm really lost on this one as I've never had such problems before.
Mobo: Msi x570 pro carbon wifi (latest bios installed with their m-flash)
Cpu: Ryzen 3700x
Ram: G. Skill trident Z 16GB 3600Mhz 16cl
Gpu: Asus 2070 super
Power supply: be Quiet! Pure power 11 700W cm
Ssd: Samsung PM981 512GB (boot disk)

As I said I've double checked every cable, installed every possible driver I could find from the manufacturers websites and am totally lost.

I've never experienced that kind of problems and I don't understand why Windows could be destroying my life in such a way. I'm open to any ideas and I stronfly hope that it isn't a hardware issue 🙄

I've also tried to check to find if anyone has had similar issues but couldn't find my problems specifically.

Thanks for any help tho 😅 (this site is a blessing)

Last edited: