Jan 3, 2020
Hi, my computer seems to be rebooting itself anytime the GPU is under load (opening certain games or running a stress test) and I'm not sure what to do. This started happening very recently (a week or so ago). The only notable change in the hardware/software is a GPU driver update. It only crashes

Specs

CPU: Intel i5-6500 3.2 GHz
GPU: Radeon RX 580 (8gb)
MB: MSI H110M PRO-VD
Memory: 2x8GB DDR4 Ram
Storage: 2x111GB SSDs + 1 465GB HDD
PSU: Thermaltake 650W
All cooled by fans which are all spinning correctly.

I've tried the following to no avail:

Win 10 reinstall (with personal files kept)
Used DDU to reinstall GPU drivers (tried both older and newer driver versions)
SFC scans (no integrity violations)
Temp monitoring (normal temps off loads, 45 CPU avg, 52 GPU avg)
CPU stress test (no crash and normal temps)
GPU stress testing with Kombustor & Furmark (causes instant reboots)
Update other drivers (chipset/audio etc..)
Updated BIOS
Reset any OCs on GPU (had a small increase in the core clock)
Increased power limit in Radeon software for GPU (+50)
Cleaned out system of any dust
Re-seat all the things
Virus scans (none found)
I tried to swap out the PSU from another system that I have around but unfortunately the PSU has 8 pins and the motherboard in this system only has 4 pins (not sure if that's a problem but I couldn't get power to the board) so i gave up and reverted everything.

I assume its a PSU or GPU issue, but I'm unsure how to test the PSU without going out and buying a reader and reading the voltage, or buying a brand new PSU =[. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
I'm an idiot.

So correction, it is NOT a 650W. It is a Thermaltake TR2 500W. ATX 12v 2.3, Power Output of 500W with 120w max, model TR2-500NL2NC.

To reinforce the idiot point, when i cracked open the case again and really looked at the PSU.. The Removed fan for it was facing the roof of the case which has no ventilation 🤦‍♂️. Somehow this PSU has lived for over 3 years while getting very little air, no doubt just slowly being killed by my incompetence. I've flipped it now so it should be breathing better.
Likely your PSU has reached a point that the capacitors jabs degraded to the point it is not pushing enough power. Your GPU consumes up to 325 watts alone under load. I’d get a quality 650+watt PSU.
Hi, my computer seems to be rebooting itself anytime the GPU is under load (opening certain games or running a stress test) and I'm not sure what to do. This started happening very recently (a week or so ago). The only notable change in the hardware/software is a GPU driver update. It only crashes

Specs

CPU: Intel i5-6500 3.2 GHz
GPU: Radeon RX 580 (8gb)
MB: MSI H110M PRO-VD
Memory: 2x8GB DDR4 Ram
Storage: 2x111GB SSDs + 1 465GB HDD
PSU: Thermaltake 650W
All cooled by fans which are all spinning correctly.

I've tried the following to no avail:

Win 10 reinstall (with personal files kept)
Used DDU to reinstall GPU drivers (tried both older and newer driver versions)
SFC scans (no integrity violations)
Temp monitoring (normal temps off loads, 45 CPU avg, 52 GPU avg)
CPU stress test (no crash and normal temps)
GPU stress testing with Kombustor & Furmark (causes instant reboots)
Update other drivers (chipset/audio etc..)
Updated BIOS
Reset any OCs on GPU (had a small increase in the core clock)
Increased power limit in Radeon software for GPU (+50)
Cleaned out system of any dust
Re-seat all the things
Virus scans (none found)
I tried to swap out the PSU from another system that I have around but unfortunately the PSU has 8 pins and the motherboard in this system only has 4 pins (not sure if that's a problem but I couldn't get power to the board) so i gave up and reverted everything.

I assume its a PSU or GPU issue, but I'm unsure how to test the PSU without going out and buying a reader and reading the voltage, or buying a brand new PSU =[. Any help is greatly appreciated!
How old is that PSU? What exact Thermaltake 650watt is it?

Jan 3, 2020
Please watch the language
How old is that PSU? What exact Thermaltake 650watt is it?
I'm an idiot.

So correction, it is NOT a 650W. It is a Thermaltake TR2 500W. ATX 12v 2.3, Power Output of 500W with 120w max, model TR2-500NL2NC.

To reinforce the idiot point, when i cracked open the case again and really looked at the PSU.. The Removed fan for it was facing the roof of the case which has no ventilation 🤦‍♂️. Somehow this PSU has lived for over 3 years while getting very little air, no doubt just slowly being killed by my incompetence. I've flipped it now so it should be breathing better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an idiot.

Likely your PSU has reached a point that the capacitors jabs degraded to the point it is not pushing enough power. Your GPU consumes up to 325 watts alone under load. I’d get a quality 650+watt PSU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Jan 3, 2020
I have another system around which has a 700W Thermaltake power supply. I tried to connect it to this system's MB but the power supply has an 8 pin connector and this MB only supports 4 pin and wouldn't power on (powers on in the other system). Are these two compatible and perhaps I simply plugged it in incorrectly? Or would this damage this system?

EDIT: 650W to 700W

Last edited: