Question PC rebooting when loading into games. PSU or CPU related?

4ustin

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
For a little over a week now, My PC is rebooting itself only when loading into a game. It tends to happen most of the time when it starts to render the Dead by Daylight main menu, or when it's loading into a round of it. Basically anytime it starts needing to work a little harder. It doesn't do it every time and sometimes I can squeeze a few rounds in before it does it. It never reboots once I'm actually in the game and playing - except one time while playing Borderlands 3.

Sometimes when it reboots, it'll hang on a black screen after turning back on and force me to hard reset it. When it's hanging, the CPU "EZ Debug LED" on my motherboard is on - essentially pointing me in that direction. I've done some digging and every thread I've come across with a similar problem say its a PSU issue. I've wondered if maybe the CPU light is on because its the "tipping point" for my PSU, thus false flagging the motherboard LED. Not sure if that's possible or if I'm stupid.

Anytime I've had a CPU issue, I had BSOD. I'm not bluescreening and my CPU is barely a year old. I've tried updating all of my drivers, resetting my PC and monitoring the temps. I don't have any errors in my event log other than "unexpected shutdown".

Does this sound like a CPU or PSU issue? Thanks for any help.

i7-6700k
gtx 970
16gb ram
msi z270 MPOWER motherboard
antec truepower 650w

UPDATE: Bought a new PSU. That did not fix it. Updated my BIOS to the latest version and stress tested my GPU and CPU and they both passed. CPU temp only raised to 52 celsius.

Last edited:

4ustin

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
How old is the PSU? Also, what is the frequency on the ram you have on your build? You should also look into the BIOS version for your motherboard, with which you're currently working with.
Power supply is a few years old - I just purchased one yesterday and switched them out but that didn't fix the issue. The ram i'm currently using is HyperX Kingston 2666mhz. The BIOS I'm using is whatever came on the disk with my board. MSI BIOS Click 5. Build date is 2/23/2017. I've never gone about updating my BIOS before that I can remember.

4ustin

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Do you use any overclocking tools?

Reset the BIOS by jumper
update the BIOS within the BIOS menu "ezflash", using a USB flash drive and the unzipped BIOS file on it.

How hot is your CPU and getting?
I'm not overclocking anything. This problem started out of nowhere without making any changes to my hardware or settings. CPU stays around 30-40 temp, maybe 45 when gaming. I have that Cooler Master 212 fan. I've never updated the BIOS before so I'm a little uneducated on how to go about doing that.